Welcome To Hmp Belmarsh

Chelsea14Ian

Theres a very good documentary about Belmarsh. Something that is close to my heart.I was part of a group appointed by the Home office. I was Chairman Of the Tamesmead Advisory Forum, when we the Residents of Thamesmead ruled the area.I was recommend to serve on the BOV .Our brief was and is to report on the state of the prison .Free access to all areas,talking to Prisoners, staff.check on food visits etc.I spent nearly fourteen years there can say I enjoyed my time My last year I was Chairman of the IMB.In my time I met most Members of the IRA,loyalist groups ,killers etc.

Over the years my own views changed. 

Many should be given help to change and encouraged to fit into society. Some will never be able to lead a normal life .

Some may say I'm a do gooder ,no I'm not ,but I will help people if I think they can be good members of the community. Fourteen years spent at Belmarsh, pleased I did so,think I helped a few.

• Like 7

With the experience of 74 years I have to say that my opinions have changed somewhat,  it used to be a blanket lock em up and throw away the key but and a very guarded but ,  there are some people who a fresh start and with the correct guidance and education go on to lead very good lives that is not at the expense of others.      Some unfortunately, psychos etc need to be locked up forever,, along with these really violent criminals.     There used to be an honour amongst thieves at one time and good old London gangsters would soon sort out those who went anywhere near children or the old folk.      What happened to all of that.

• Like 1

As I said in my time at Belmarsh I  met,spoke dealing with applications from inmates,listened to staff and so on.Alot of good work was done to try and help prisoners turn there life around. There was some success, sadly not enough. It is also true that some can and will not become good members of the community, so deep is there hatred. They can only remain behind bars.

• Like 2

Crime and punishment, a conundrum that's always existed and to some extent always will. I think the work you have done is highly commendable, the sort of thing that makes a real difference to individuals and as a result society at large.

I agree that help should be always available and I also recognise that there will always be some that can't or won't be helped and those are the one's that society needs protection from.

• Like 3

An old friend of mine who was headmaster of a north London girls' school,  used to give tuition to prisoners and I remember him telling me how he used to coach Myra  Hindley for English GCE. He said he could feel evil radiating off her and used to sit as faraway from her as possible.

Carole

• Like 1