Backs, Age & Mudweights

There have been numerous threads on mudweights etc and at various times I have tried to explain my own solution to halving the effort after I injured my back in 2009. I knew I had a much better photograph than the one I posted and just happened across it yesterday.

For the less experienced or those new to boating if you expand the photo you will see that I have "Moused" the shackle pins with "mousing wire". It is a practice that I strongly recommend after narrowly missing what could have been serious injury whilst motoring through the overfalls off St Aldhelm's Head. I was very nearly felled by a falling boom when the topping lift shackle pin came out during quite violent motion. Since then I have always moused and carried electrical snips should I wish to get rid of it in a hurry.

Block.thumb.JPG.3ab4bee32b48fbf0ba507d39372ac6c2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is a bit difficult to see but the other thing I have learned is always have a "Drop nose pin" through the top of the bow roller. It is not really relevant on The Broads where ground tackle is roped on, but I only ever use chain at sea and if chain jumps the bow roller you have a problem if it is under load not to mention the damage it can do.

Bow rollers, chains and fingers are not a good mix.

I agree - but when you are younger you just heave on it - so to speak!

We installed an old sheet winch - 2 speed! - on the foredeck bought at a boat jumble for £25  to sort the problem. It has a standard winch handle operating horizontally and works a treat. Sorted!!!

But on your arrangement it all collects mud just lovely! No need on mine - just bung the end with a loop through it through the mudweight and stick the free end through - simples. When you lift it, just let it dangle for a minute or so and clean as a whistle.

• Like 1

I just used to go along with the tackle submerged for a while.

Now if you you really want to see mud. In a blow I would shackle 2m chain from the mudweight eye to a small Danforth. Never dragged in a real blow overnight on Blackhorse but you would not believe the mess on retrieval!

2 hours ago, marshman said:

I agree - but when you are younger you just heave on it - so to speak!

We installed an old sheet winch - 2 speed! - on the foredeck bought at a boat jumble for £25  to sort the problem. It has a standard winch handle operating horizontally and works a treat. Sorted!!!

But on your arrangement it all collects mud just lovely! No need on mine - just bung the end with a loop through it through the mudweight and stick the free end through - simples. When you lift it, just let it dangle for a minute or so and clean as a whistle.

If your foredeck is big enough and you have a decent Kingplank then your two speed winch is the way to go undoubtably. A self tailing one even better! Straight into the anchor well.

If your foredeck is big enough and you have a decent Kingplank then your two speed winch is the way to go undoubtedly. A self tailing one even better! Straight into the anchor well.

Which, down the river is what we may just do onboard 'B.A'  There is proper strong plank under the foredeck and room for warp stowage along with a battery under the for'd end of the V berths.  For now however we are content to manage with the heaving thing, although Womack Water can be sometimes challenging

Griff

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Womack Water can be sometimes challenging

Griff

Not much, back in 2004 I think we hired a boat from Bridge Craft and spent our last night at Womack. 

Come morning could not move it. Luckily being Saturday and change over day the crews on other boats were up early so we resorted to eight on the foredeck to get her bow down, tie off as tight as possible then everyone back to the stern and it let go.by this time it was getting on, we did not want to be late back so once we had joined the Bure that old Westward 38 had a "bone in her teeth" all the way back to Acle Bridge.

• Haha 1

Electric winches equate to battery drain so manual is good! I have a small version of one of these on the fore-deck of my Drascombe. In itself it is bomb proof and I even use it to beach my boat as well as breaking out the anchor or mudweight. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOYLE-Classic-Manual-Windlass-for-10mm-3-8-chain-I-think-gypsy-warping-drum/372826438991?hash=item56ce2ffd4f:g:hS4AAOSwRu5dtE~m

• Like 1