Mooring options

VetChugger

How many recall their first Broads trip and encountering rhond anchors for the first time? A case of " bruised foot" as you tried to kick them in? What is your opinion of rhond anchors versus mooring pins? By mooring pins I mean the pins that come in lengths of around 24" and 30" with a closed eye. Pros and cons of each? I know that a well set rhond anchor is fairly strong but can't help feeling that a pin and a lump hammer are better?

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk

Couldn't agree more Trevor, pins properly set are strong and simple, even better (IMHO) are corkscrew anchors which are easy to set and remove. Bank hooksor rhond annchors work but are a clat and due to their 90 degree design are less stable when a boat pulls back and forth unless set well forward of the bow and aft of the stern. Mind you rhond anchors keep the PBs happy as they have a special name and can seem "unique to the broads" which of course they are not.

:wave hi guys the last time i used a rhond anchor was when i used to go on the canals with my mum & dad, i found them particulary useful more when going into the locks, i found a lazy way to hold onto the ladders of some of the bigger locks, i used to tie the rope through the eye of the rhond anchor & just keep moving it up the ladders, & laughing at everyone else as they got their hands covered in slime from off the rope from the ladders, :lol: plus it was alot quicker doing it my way when moving your rope up every time you had to move it up to the next rung of the ladder. :Stinky

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I think Rhond anchors are a pain. They are difficult to get in the ground in a curve, whereas mooring pins are a straight forward bang in a straight line. Also, with a length of at least 20 ins in the ground, it`s got to be more sturdy. I`ve never heard of or seen the "corkscrew" type, but they do sound the most secure of the three different types. One last thing, why do the hire fleets supply you with a couple of rhond anchors, but no mallet or club hammer to bang them in with?. Regards to all .................. Neil.

One last thing, why do the hire fleets supply you with a couple of rhond anchors, but no mallet or club hammer to bang them in with?. Regards to all .................. Neil.

I can imigine why not but I'll keep it to myself. :naughty:

Personally I prefer rhond anchors - I've never had a serious problem getting them in without the aid of a hammer, and when they're set properly (with the stock parallel to the ground) they're pretty secure and keep the mooring rope at ground level, reducing the trip hazard. I've used mooring pins on the canals, and found them far more annoying to deal with, especially as the hammer is essential (which generally requires three hands - one for the rope, one for the pin, and one to swing the hammer).

Incidentally, I know of at least one hire company (Freedom) that supplies a lump hammer along with the rhond anchors for those that feel the need for one.

I am usually OK with the first rhond anchor cos I can use the second as an improvised hammer. However the second anchor is more problematic and usually results in a bruised foot or twisted ankle. Best therefore to carry 3. ;) . Not getting the second anchor in properly has resulted in a few embarrassing moments such as the time we moored in Rockland dyke and woke up blocking the waterway secured by only one rope.

Regards

Steve

Forget about rhond anchors guys-click go to this link www.echandlery.co.uk/automatic-mooring-pin-1155p.asp and there you will find details of The Automatic Mooring Pin with built in hammer for self drive & release. I bought 2 of these 10 years ago from the Brundall Bay stores which is of course now closed but have managed through trawling the net to find a supplier. They are not cheap at £27.12p each but they sure are a far better bet both for mooring security & personal safety as you drive them straight into the ground with the built in hammer & simply remove them by reversing the process.It may be you can find them cheaper from another supplier if you search for "Automatic Mooring Pins". They are an integral part of Sandpiper's mooring equipment & two of the most useful things I have ever purchased for the boat-I would not be without them & would replace immediatley if they were lost.

Good Hunting

Boycee

:band

Boycee I am intrigued, what manner of witch-craft does thing use?

I user normal mooring pins and generally don't have a problem with them, I find most banks or soft enough for them to be driven in by just standing on them. Usually get them right in the earth up to the mooring ring with no problems, I do have a rubber mallet in the transom locker just in case though.

On a side note, when we hired we found Summer Craft did supply a mallet but Fair Craft didn't

My boats used to have an "Auto moor" facility ...... particularly useful on the Southern rivers.

Cruising on a falling tide I used to let the boat decide where to moor. The 3 foot lump of iron sticking out of my bottom made an ideal tether in soft mud, requiring no ropes or rhond anchors.

Best of all you never knew where you were going to stop next!!! :lol:

Steady on, you'll frighten Smellyloo with talk like that, it's OK Lou you can come out now, it's just fire sent down a bit of iron string really.

I thought the sun made it get light and the moon made it go dark.

I don't trust electricity, especially the stuff sold by the gas board .......

as for gas sold my the electricity companies .... best not to go there!!! Luckily I am self sufficient in gas! :?

The automated mooring pins look like a great idea - definitely now on my "must have" list.

Also looking at these sexy little numbers to protect them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-MOORING-PIN-STAKE-SPIKE-COVER-HOODIES-HI-VIZ-/190484295249?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2c59bfae51#ht_538wt_1140

Regards

Steve