"beaching" The Shrimper

Nickwaiheke

Being a newbie I was pondering how to remove the small growth from this year under my Cornish Shrimper.  Normally I could pick a half tide point on a beach and give it a quick brush. 

Someone mentioned to me a part of Salhouse broad I could come pretty close in shore to and perhaps quickly brush there, almost a beach like area. 

Just curious and looking for local knowledge 

Hi Nick, nice boat! I suspect that you will need about two feet of tidal range, not sure that you would often get that at Salhouse.

I have a Drascombe & whilst I can slip it on my own slipway I generally keep the crud to a minimum with  a scrub-brush fastened to the side of a six foot piece of two by one, it works very well.

The lower reaches of the Waveney between St Olaves and Burgh Castle have a couple of good drying out areas between tides and due to tidal range will probably give you a good hour or three of scrubbing time.

One spot i'm thinking about in particular is  about halfway along the reach and near to the Waveney Forest. It drys out more firmly than just mud and I believe the water ski boats have used it as a trailer launch site in the past .

Don't know whether shrimpers sit upright when beached or fall over (excuse my non-saily type terms ) but might suit your needs.

Hickling Broad has a bit of a beach by the sailing club near the Pleasure Boat pub. Doubt that you can dry out there but at least it's shallow enough to be able to paddle around your Shrimper wielding your scrub brush.

You can also dry out on Breydon Water, lots of people, normally motor boaters, do it every summer! 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Mutford lock is not that expensive, tie up tight and nip under in a dinghy when they let the water out....

You won't be the first albeit not at mutford.

Perhaps BA could be persuaded to widen Mutford lock to use as a temporary dry dock like this one on the Canal de Junction in France.:default_smile:

1100 Bottom lock & dry dock Canal de Jonction.JPG

• Like 3