Non-swimmers

LondonGuy

true, it takes training to suppress that reflex, i  learned to swim in a river fed open air pool, we used to attend when it opened in april every year through to october. you soon learned to suppress that initial gasp.

The important thing to remember is that even non swimmers can use the broads, wear a lifejacket when on deck, and remember one hand for yourself and one for the ship, which basically means when you are on deck, hang on to the handrails and take care of loose ropes on the deck, so as not to trip.

Do everything slowly and carefully, step off the boat, dont jump, if you land badly jumping you can slip and topple back between the boat and shore, so step down and make sure of your footing, if you have to make a second or even third go at mooring, do so until it can be done safely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

wear a lifejacket when on deck, and remember one hand for yourself and one for the ship, which basically means when you are on deck, hang on to the handrails and take care of loose ropes on the deck, so as not to trip.

Do everything slowly and carefully, step off the boat, dont jump, if you land badly jumping you can slip and topple back between the boat and shore, so step down and make sure of your footing, if you have to make a second or even third go at mooring, do so until it can be done safely.

I very much doubt those words, or anything approaching them, are in hire boat skippers’ manuals (no doubt someone can correct me if they are). But that’s exactly the concise guidance that should be given with regards to safety. Nicely worded grendel. 

Hi @LondonGuy

You don't need to be a strong swimmer to enjoy a boating holiday on the Broads, but please wear a lifejacket at all times and be vigilant around trip hazards and when getting off/on the boat. Thousands of people enjoy their holidays here without any incident but it is worth remembering that the water can be a dangerous environment and it needs respecting appropriately.

Our website has lots of safety information and highlights some of the risks to be aware of on your trip: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/safety

We also provide information regarding outdoor swimming (which we do not encourage) and the associated risks: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/outdoor-swimming

All the best,

Tom

• Like 3

Can swim, don't swim.

I've worked on the broads for 15 years ish and I very rarely wear a life jacket, as is the case with most of the other contractors regardless of swimming ability. However I've experienced cold shock, on purpose, and it's not a pleasant experience that I'd recommend.

So to anyone even remotely nervous, or on the other side of it, cocky around water I would strongly recommend wearing a LJ. 

The water isnt the danger, you are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1