Off-season

My wife and I are just back from our first boards hire-boat experience.

Even though we were the week just before half term, we found the rivers (especially the berths) busy.

Is an off-season trip recommended?

Does the potential for cold, rain and dark nights out weigh any advantages of less crowds?

When do you go?

What is your experience?

I was about to answer one of your other threads but saw this. I'm back in Horning for 4 nights the first time in 18 months.

What is so noticeable is how VERY busy the north rivers are. I'm used to sailing between cruisers but watching Horning with a big sailing race ongoing was different. My photos show how busy it is. 2021 is not what the Broads would normally be like to be honest even at the usual peak times. Covid has altered a lot of things this year

Last night the New Inn was packed and there were so many boats arriving hoping to find a non-existent mooring in Horning!

Out of season is popular because it is generally cheaper and should be less crowded but you can't guarantee the weather anywhere in the UK at any time. If unfortunately the weather is unkind a boating holiday can be brutal even for the most hardy.

Don't be put off, remember the best bits and your confidence will grow.

As to drinking there was a newspaper article that said that the sailing fraternity would make a Saturday night in Newcastle look tame! With the Broads being so busy boats were probably erring of making sure if they couldn't more at a pub it wouldn't matter?

• Like 1

We love The Broads in the winter months , the main disadvantage (except the cold) is the shorter daylight , therefore cruising hours .

Many facilities close and waterhoses are not as available on public staithes.

Yes moorings are more readily obtainable but do remember not all yards have boats available in the winter and you will not be permitted to cross Braydon by most of them.

If you do book bring an oil fired radiator to plug in when on shore power , quieter and more efficient than the diesel heating on the boat 

• Like 1

My favourite months to be out are October and March. Less folk about especially in March. Weather unpredictable but the rivers are beautiful. Take layers to wrap up warm, hot water bottles for chilly nights, and you’ll have a great time. Plus the prices are a little lower. I can’t afford peak season on the boats I like to hire!

• Like 1

Like SwanR, our experiences of motor cruiser hires were in March, May and October. We like that it’s quieter, but generally found the weather better in the Autumn, the nights during early Spring are generally colder than those early Autumn. We have now bought into a syndicate boat and enjoy all seasons on the river (except when it’s very windy...and that can happen any season).

Also, if you like less busy rivers, consider hiring from a yard on the Southern rivers. 

• Like 3