Maiden Voyage

craigmc67

Hi I am hopefully picking up my new boat end of next week and taking her from Horning to her new home in Beccles.

im relatively new at all of this so need to plan our journey and have never done anything past burgh castle 

any suggestions we need to stay over somewhere and while we are in the north is there any must see’s on the way back to Beccles and any good pubs to eat on route 

we have an air draft of 6ft 4 “ 

I reckon will will go next Thursday or Friday 

How exciting. If you want only a reasonably short diversion off your route from Horning down to Breydon Water then I would go for Fleet Dyke and a cruise around South Walsham Broad. You could do that in about an hour. Or turn up the Thurne and then take the Dyke to Womack Water, that would be a good place for a stop. The Ant is charming but it depends whether you’ve got time to get quite far up there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi craigmc67, I have my boat in Beccles, over 12 years there now, Where are keeping yours?

Hope you have a good trip taking the boat there, not checked the tides for then, but stopping at Acle or Stokesby before passing through Yarmouth is good, after Braydon if you cant make Beccles, St Olaves is a good stop.

Paul.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

I would say an hour after slack is the best time to cross.

It usually works out right if you go under Acle Bridge at the time given for low water in Yarmouth Yacht station.

By the way, make sure your tide tables are for Yarmouth Yacht Station and not Yarmouth Bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, craigmc67 said:

That’s a nice spot can he pull you out of the water there and put you under cover for repairs if needed?

We had our Seamaster 30 at Derby's Quay for a number of years before we reluctantly gave up boating.  Yard has a slipway and Steve very helpful (if still there?)  What boat have you got?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, petersjoy said:

Yes still there and still too busy.

Hi.  Good to see you are still there.  Keep enjoying your'e boat - I still miss ours, but to be honest have to admit selling was a sensble decision - age, distance etc, but still hire occassionaly.  Just cannot get it out of the system after 50+ years or more!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Happy said:

Hi.  Good to see you are still there.  Keep enjoying your'e boat - I still miss ours, but to be honest have to admit selling was a sensble decision - age, distance etc, but still hire occassionaly.  Just cannot get it out of the system after 50+ years or more!!

Hi Alan, no plans on selling or moving the boat yet, still enjoying it too much,

There's more talk about selling the house first and moving nearer Beccles.

• Like 3

Hi craigmc67, how exciting for you ...........

I was in a similar position this time last year, when we had our 'new' boat moved from the Thames to St Olaves in Dec 2020 and then had our first trip on her as we 'gingerly' cruised to Beccles to get her to her new moorings (Hippersons), just round the corner from you and petersjoy (we must all meet up some time next season! - any more members Beccles based?).

I say 'gingerly' as this is when you really get to start 'knowing your boat'; what works and what might need attention. So unless you know the history of your new boat, then I'd recommend taking your time and take 'small steps' from Horning to Beccles, building confidence in her (and yourself) as you go. We'd had a cruiser in the family for many years, and I'd say I knew enough about boats to be confident in myself, but there's nothing like 'getting to know' your own boat.

Once you've crossed Breydon, Reedham ferry (if not flooded) or Loddon are good places to visit if you have some spare time before heading to Beccles.

All the best in your new adventure - you'll be making memories every day from now on. :default_beerchug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1