The Wherry Geldstone

andyg

Looking for some advise on where to moor to visit the wherry. Some friends of ours visited last year ( not by boat ) and we've heard great thinks about the pub etc. I've never been up that part of the waveny and wouldn't have a clue where to moor. I have looked at Google earth but can't seem to see any public moorings just what looks like a marina and the old rowan craft yard. Any help much appreciated. 

Go up the dyke towards Rowan Craft and you may find a couple of moorings  just by the yard entrance - walk along the footpath ,under the bridge and follow towards the main road. The Wherry is up there on the left.

Alternatively moor at the Locks and walk up the track towards Geldeston village. When you reach the road turn right and walk towards the village. About 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile at a guess. I have always found the food ok.

• Like 1

Be careful if you moor in the dyke that leads to the entrance of Rowan craft, as the ground is pretty uneven. It's one of our favourite moorings though and fairly peaceful despite there being a campsite on the opposite bank. 

• Like 2

Went there last September, beer and food were excellent and good value

We were on a 40 foot boat so chickened out of the dyke and moored by the locks

Had a drink at The Locks pub and walked to the Wherry, didn't take long, then had another drink at The Locks on the way back!

Well, it would've been rude not to!  :default_drinks:

Thanks, I've had a better look on Google earth and I noticed there is a couple of what looks like moorings spots outside the buildings at rowan craft just before the end of the dyke on the right as you approach. Walking from the locks isn't an option at the moment unfortunately as I'm still suffering with some breathlessness after my bout of covid. We are only on a smallish boat and it looks like there's ample space to spin around if full. Il give it ago and if not il head to the locks. Thanks 

There is a staithe there, about 30 foot of quay heading, just before the entrance to rowan craft, not sure visitors are allowed into their basin, or along the bank opposite the campsite, its a lovely spot there, and a short walk through rowancrafts yard to the pub.

red is the moorings, blue the path to the pub

wherry.PNG

• Like 3