Steering Ram Recommendations Please

Hi. I am the proud owner (12yrs) of Pandora - a Bounty 37.  The cable steering has always been a problem so I’m going hydraulic. Can owners of similarly sized craft tell me what make and model steering ram they use. Please.Thank you, Timbo 

What has been the problem with the cable steering? Likely just the routing as it's usually fine for decades with no maintenance whatsoever, hydraulic can springs leaks and let you down at anytime and should have regular fluid changes.

My old boat was 40+ years old when I had a cable steering issue that was the helm gear jamming inside mid manouver,a trip to asap for new cable and helm gear and I was back on my hols (luckily the chef from ferryhouse lent me his car from rockland-cheers John).

Keep it simple is a wonderful engineering principle, I'm still on cable now with twin engines and wouldn't dream of changing it.

If it has any issues with self steering you can get helm gear with friction lock that will stop external forces moving the steering (good for outdrive/outboard), but the helm still feels light and responsive so you can go for a pee and stay on a straight line.

• Like 1

Hi Timbo ASAP do Hydrophilic steering it makes the steering very easy there is a choice of how many turns from lock to lock you want four to five would be a good starting point , just ask them to show you how to connect the hose ends as its easy but instructions not to clear. John

I agree with Smoggy about cable steering.

If it is causing trouble this may be because of route-ing of the cable.  It must leave the wheel in a straight line and not go round any sharp bends.  Same applies to Morse control cables.  they usually break because they have been installed round sharp corners.

You also get a "feel" for the steering that you don't get with hydraulics.

i know when we replaced the steering cable on royal tudor, the biggest issue was purely the number of joints, there were 11 separate pieces of cable, and it was the clamps hitting each other, or a rib that caused most problems, once the pulleys were oiled and the rudder shaft greased, and the cable replaced the whole lot was as smooth as butter.water rail has her cables running along the deck outside, and the pulleys need regular oiling.

Different type of cable setup Grendel, I am assuming (assumption being the mother of all cockups) we are talking about the fully enclosed spiral type cable that runs through gear teeth and is just push/pull at the rudder end.

It's only the real oldies that use the pulley setup.

• Like 1

Certainly hydraulic is the easiest to fit as you can run pipe work a lot easier with the added advantage of twin or more helms and with no maintenance required apart from checking oil level at helm and with no back lash,But !!!.  John