What courses?

Hello all,

Basically I would like to start thinking about getting a boat to venture round or off the shores of Blighty but I am not really sure what I may or may not need.. I dont want to venture out with minimal knowledge and rip my props off so where do I start??

I have found the RYA site and worked out I need the Essential Navigation & Seamanship course found here.. http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/c ... icnav.aspx this will get me on the powerboat level 2 course.

Now, is this all I need? have I got it right? are there other courses?, are they hard? would I need qualifications to follow another boat? have I missed any questions ?

Hi, Clive.

The coarse above is a good start,but you can,t beat actual sea time, so before you invest in a boat might be worth "hitching a lift with an competent skipper"just so you can get a feel for reading charts and navigation aids and get a feel for sea work.You could just buy a boat kit it out and just go...there are no rules to stop you,but ..would you want to?/,the rnli are the people to speak to for the best advise :wave

Hi, Clive.

The coarse above is a good start,but you can,t beat actual sea time, so before you invest in a boat might be worth "hitching a lift with an competent skipper"just so you can get a feel for reading charts and navigation aids and get a feel for sea work.You could just buy a boat kit it out and just go...there are no rules to stop you,but ..would you want to?/,the rnli are the people to speak to for the best advise :wave

meant to add if you know someone who has done the coarses, beg the notes off them ,they are a great help and lets you do some self learning before you shell out for the coarse

Hi Clive

I found the ICC a good starting point, provides all the basics you will need to get started. Including basic chart plotting, CEVNI rules & regs, Col regs, navigation signs & lighting, MOB training and more. Furthermore, The ICC licence gives you proof of competency to enter European waters.

See Link for more info. http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boatin ... s/icc.aspx

cheersbar

This is good, it is a bit crazy that anyone can drive out of a harbour and just call on the RNLI if they f**k it up..

I have been on a couple of short trips from Lowestoft to Yarmouth but without navigational aids as it was daylight so not the greatest test..

I will probably have a go at the online courses first and see how they go, I have long wanted to do the Norfolk Broads to the Med and back via the canals but originally bought the wrong boat and now have kids that are too young and a dog :roll::roll::lol: at least I now have the chance to sort out some basic knowledge and get a few short trips under my belt as if I am not careful the time will be upon me ant I will not have made a start :(

Has anyone got any notes I can blag? :)

Has anyone got any notes I can blag? :)

I think I may have some old celestial navigation notes around somewhere Clive if that's any help. :naughty:

Seriously, I think Rachel may still have her Yachtmaster notes somewhere from her last course.

Hello Clive,

I am doing an Essential Navigation and safety course in the next couple of weeks so if you would like to take part give me a call.

If you want to proceed into the blue yonder(east of Yarmouth) why not consider the powerboat scheme? the general take on the PB scheme is that it is for RIBS and sports boats. Yes I suppose it is to a degree, but the courses are, in my veiw, very imformative and usefull. the qualifications are wide ranging and can be endorsed for the ICC.

If you can make it, I am doing an advanced powerboat course on Thursday and Friday out of Gt Yarmouth.

The Yachtmaster course is the ultimate goal of many,and a very good qualification to have.

As a matter of interest, many people find it strange that in the UK, there is no requirement, in the leisure sector, to have any formal qualifications to own and take to sea, a boat. Francis Drake didnt have a Yachtmasters ticket!!!!

I have 2 takes on the subject.

As someone involved, both operationally and otherwise, with the RNLI since 1980, I was trained to do a job, much like the fire or ambulance service are, and was always ready, and wanting to be called out. I, and others involved with the RNLI ( the proper RNLI) were for ever waiting for the call to launch the lifeboat.

I then got involved with the RNLI sea safety scheme as a result of seeing many people going to sea without the slightest Idea of what it was all about. This country, in my view has got somthing right in as much as formal sea going qualifications are not mandatory, and the leisure market is to a great extent uncontrolled. It is gratififying to note that most sensible people are seeking tuition in some shape or form voluntarily.If some folk want to go to sea in a bath tub, let them do it. If you get into bother at sea, call for help. Sooner rather than later. That is what the RNLI s crews are trained for.

Rant over.

Our training web site is East Coast Training Services

Paul

Hi

Over the last three years I have been back into boating,taken all coarses up to Y/M ,Would recommend day skipper,will give you a good basic understanding, and was the most enjoyable.

why is it always a Dutch Yacht that is in the blooming way. Rod

Wouldn’t surprise me if it were because most of the yachts out there, even this side are Dutch / Belgian Rod. It always notable that on east coast trips even in the summer you can go for miles without seeing another small craft but as soon as you get the other side they are everywhere.

I remember reading about that collision after the video was first posted up - Did the skipper really say "But power gives way to sail"

Clive - as an alternative I would certainly recommend the RYA Shorebased courses to complement any on the water training you do - especially Day Skipper/Coastal Skipper courses as they cover a really broad range of subjects including navigation. Also if you do not already have one, a VHF-DSC short range certificate is also a day course if you do not already hold one!

You don't need a VHF to do the course Clive, in fact doing the course will give you a good idea of what features etc that you want when you start looking for one so better do the course first as it reveals a lot more than just how to key a mike without looking silly.

Morning Clive,

No you dont need to have the Short range VHF operators licence to take part in the Essential Navigation course. You can do the VHF course later if you wish, but dont forget you will need the licence before you start using VHF radios, and as David points out, doing the operateres course will build confidence and hopfully dispel 'Mike shyness'

Regards

Paul