Another Legend Passes

ChrisB

It has been announced that Lester Piggott has died in Switzerland aged 86.

So many of the sporting greats that people of my age grew up with have passed in recent times.

I had to smile though on hearing he was domiciled in Switzerland.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Perhaps for tax reasons!

And there is me thinking that after all that "Flat" he may think looking at mountains would make a change.

• Haha 2

I went to school with his daughter Maureen , one year (1978) she mentioned that her dad had said the horse Captains Wings was going to run in the Lincoln Handicap and was an excellent horse if the going was soft , I had never placed a bet on a horse and was actually too young then to do so but got my mother to put £10 on at odds of 33-1 (the starting price) ended up as 15-2 favorite but my odds were fixed , result ? a £340 payday for me a school kid !!!!!

• Like 5

I wouldn’t mind living in Switzerland. My lovely Mam took me on a holiday to Switzerland (Montreaux) the week after my ‘O’ level results came out, the idea being that it would be a reward for my hard work. I’ve always wanted to return as I fell in love with it. 

Mam worked for Sealink, so we had free train travel. Looking back, I think my Mam was pretty enterprising, making all the arrangements and booking everything herself, including day trips to Interlaken, Chamonix etc. She booked a hotel recommended by someone she worked with, and I’m so glad she did. It was very old fashioned, owned by an elderly couple. It was like experiencing an early 20th century hotel (we visited in 1976).  She managed the hotel, he cooked (loved the food…first and only time I’ve had a dish of tongue served hot - very tasty). There wasn’t any en-suite or anything fancy like that, but we had a balcony overlooking the lake  and it was very central, so convenient for the station, shops etc. Given the location it’s probably been built over by some mega posh hotel by now. 

My Mam and I got sort of adopted for the week by an elderly American lady, who lived permanently in the hotel, having moved in after she was widowed as it was a place with many happy memories.

Looking back, it was a unique holiday experience. A gem. You just couldn’t find anything like it if you booked through a holiday agent.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

And there is me thinking that after all that "Flat" he may think looking at mountains would make a change.

The hills are alive.

When I was on the BOV/IMB at Belmarsh there was talk he was going to be a Inmate there to serve he's  time.