Ludham Bridge Today

Puddleduck2

21 hours ago, Ray said:

I know that money is a rude word, but wouldn't it be a good idea to install 'go back' sensors like they do for oversize trucks on road bridges? 

They take a lot of maintenance. I know because I look after the ones in the Dartford tunnel approaches. Anything from spiders to dirt block the sensor. Even a physical barrier don’t do it due to some always think your lying about the height. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

They take a lot of maintenance. I know because I look after the ones in the Dartford tunnel approaches. Anything from spiders to dirt block the sensor. Even a physical barrier don’t do it due to some always think your lying about the height. 

Another point from all this technology is that it shifts responsibility and liability.

" well the sign said I could get under so who can I claim from ".

A culture me and Ole Marge hate but  we have to live with it.

Them old marker boards ain't so accurate as a ripple on the water can say yay or nay so you have to use your loaf and always err on the side of caution. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

When we hired from Stalham this Easter the hand over was pretty good but I have hired from them several times so I am not viewing it as a total novice. The boat had an air draught of 8'6” and the chap did say that we would definitely get under Ludham bridge, which we did comfortably, despite the height gauge saying 8'

To my mind the problem is when boats and bridges aren't measured accurately. I can understand a couple of inches safety buffer, but when the gauges say you shouldn't get through and the boat fits with several inches clearance then it just confuses people.

David 

• Like 1

The height marker downstream of the bridge was laying back at a relaxed 15 degrees a few weeks ago thereby reducing the apparent bridge  clearance. I find the one above the bridge to be quite good. Malanka is 8ft all up and I have never risked 8ft on the gauge. Remember it’s not the same height front and back nor left to right either. 

My main concern with pinballing new hirers who over correct all down the river is putting the 12ft wide boat through a 14ft wide hole, especially with tide under them..

M

• Like 1

Very quiet at Ludham Bridge this afternoon. Loads of mooring spaces at 4.30 and I only watched one boat go through while I was eating my ice cream and contemplating life.
It’s a non handover day tomorrow at Richardson’s and it makes a big difference on the river Ant. Tuesday pm to Thursday am are usually much quieter. 

• Like 2