Wi Fi Onboard

wicketdevil22

In the top right hand corner is a "Search" box, just enter wi-fi for old threads to appear - Happy reading!

In a nutshell you will need a router and a pre paid sim card but because coverage will vary all over the broads you might struggle to always get a decent signal.

Which sim you buy depends on where you might be most of the time.

3 hours ago, wicketdevil22 said:

Hi We have just put a deposit on a boat alpha 36. We need wi fi and wanted to ask what others do, we will want a smart tv and I may do work while on board. Ian

I just use my phone and ‘hotspot’ other devices.  Depends on your data package obviously.

1 hour ago, BrundallNavy said:

I have one of these. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZFSX8LB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great with an EE and Smarty Sim. On most of the broads. 

These are an excellent product, and the best part is that you have four ethernet ports so the TV etc can be connected properly without messing about with WiFi.

I have similar to the above plus an external antenna on an extendable pole, the height can make the difference.  I also work from the boat, in my home yard I'm getting around 40mb but there's a mast just down the road!  As a back up I chose a different network from my phone, if Smarty / Three doesn't have a signal then my work phone on O2 can provide a hotspot.

There are still some spots where the signal is non existent or very weak regardless of network.

• Like 2