Opportunity

harnser

A chance to own a unique Broads wooden half-decker “Nancy”, 20ft loa.

She was designed and built by Herbert Woods about 1950 as a boat for teaching youngsters. Carvel mahogany on oak frames with cream sails, bermudan rig.

Excellent condition. Maintained and stored under cover at Swallowtail Yard, Ludham for inspection.

Offers invited by PM

A summer berth could be leased at nearby Hunters Yard by going on their waiting list.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This sounds very much like the boat my aunt Brenda & a colleague (both teachers in the Manchester area) owned back in the 1960s / 70s.  They regularly took groups of girls for sailing sessions, based on Malthouse broad.

Said to have been "the tallest mast on the Broads", Nancy was supposedly the prototype for a new Broads class that was never further developed.

IIRC the transom has "Nancy" and "Southgates Horning" on it.  On one of the sails "Nancie" was written in small letters.  I sailed with them several times.

I started a thread on the subject a while back but got no response.

My aunt Brenda celebrated her 100th birthday on the 3rd December 2022 - for which we flew to the UK to be with her.  She passed away exactly one month later - her funeral was last Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Turnoar,

I know that Herbert Woods took a mould from her for a GRP version but "Nancy" is the only wooden boat to that design.

She was well known on the rivers when we used to sail her but my age and a home in Lincolnshire make outings difficult so we look for a new, classic, boat owner.

Harnser.

• Like 2