Any Interest In An Offline Chart Of The Norfolk Broads?

bgw

I am returning to the Norfolk broads for a holiday in August after some 20 years or so.

I live in Ireland where I create the charts for the Inland Waterways of Ireland that can be used in OpenCPN (laptop or Android) or Locus (android tablet/phone).
There are also a couple of apps on IOS that can disply them.

https://www.iwai.ie/charts/

Just for fun I thought I would create a chart of the Norfolk Broads for my holiday (minus the depth data) and I would appreciate some help from people in that area that could try out the chart and help with information that would be useful to add or correct it.

Anyone interested in helping me can send me their email address and I will send back a link to download the chart (currently around 64MB)

best regards,

Brian.

Screenshot_20230313_134438_Locus Map.jpg

Screenshot_20230313_134452_Locus Map.jpg

• Like 4

Just for clarification, although this is an offline chart, you can still use it to see where you are and follow your movement on the chart if your device has an integrated or connected GPS source (most android phones and tablets have gps built in).

Being offline just means that once it is installed there is no need for an internet connection to use it.

• Like 1

I too use the os map and view it through the OS map app (which allows GPS tracking too, ) I also managed to download the appropriate os open source maps and upload into a single CAD file in autocad map3d from which I generated a paper copy from the pdfs generated - I still occasionally update this file when I remember and add things such as moorings etc.

Thanks for the info guys,

I might check out the OS maps if they can be downloaded onto my tablet.

Can you tell me if the boating information (facilities etc) is good or are they more for land based interest?

I have an android tablet and the OS maps app works fine on that, I paid for the OS map of the broads (paper copy) but that also includes access to the download, which can then be used offline. attached is a copy of the map I produced back in 2019, you are welcome to copy any details I have added to your map if you wish

broads map-01-05-19.pdf

The MMTracker app I sent is unsupported by google play store as memory map threatened the original developer over copyright, someone else took it over on xda developer forum and is pretty good at sorting glitches and adding features, he did quite a re-write for me to get it back on an old tablet.

I think that was the latest incarnation I linked to, the zip is stowed on the website I look after.

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The MMTracker app I sent is unsupported by google play store as memory map threatened the original developer over copyright, someone else took it over on xda developer forum and is pretty good at sorting glitches and adding features, he did quite a re-write for me to get it back on an old tablet.

I think that was the latest incarnation I linked to, the zip is stowed on the website I look after.

Many thanks. 

I actually have memory map installed so I didn't need the apk. 

The map works great.

A chart of the Broads? I have an old Hamiltons and an OS map!!!!! Generally speaking if you can see the bottom is probably too late as you are aground - if you can't then its probably ok!!

You don't really navigate the Broads, normally you just point and follow the water!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Marshman,

I agree that depths are not required for this chart - and I say as much in my first post.

For me, as a relative "newbie" to the area, it is about positional awareness, locations of moorings and water etc

I am also interested in bridge locations and heights.

That is what I am trying to acheive.

I think the chart would be more of use to newcomers rather that people that have spent many years on the broads. 

Having said that, it could still be of interest to people who want an unclttered and boat specific view of the area when using their boats if the the right information is on it.

At the end of the day I am not selling anything, I am offering it for free for anyone that is interested and that will help with feedback in making it better.

• Like 1

You need a license for Memory Map to use third party maps - I have one for the PC and for the tablet.

On the tablet I just selected the file and it knew to open it with Memory Map.

I have also just tried MM V6.4 on my PC  and it loads in that fine.

Edited by bgw
typo

Here are a couple of examples that I could do with help on.

Using online references for Sutton Staithe I think I have correctly identified the mooring area and the fact that water is available.

I also found a reference to "Sutton Dyke" in one place but not in another - the position is shown in my example - so the question would be does Sutton Dyke exist as a free mooring and do I have the correct position.

Second example regarding Stalham Staithe - Looking at the satellite imagery there are many areas where boats are moored - I am unsure exactly where the free moorings are located.

As an inexperienced user it would be nice to know exactly where I am supposed to head to.

sutton.png

Stalham.png

Yes and before that on the port side as you enter... See image

A: village staithe/private mooring

B: BA 24 hr mooring

C Boatyard slipway, pump outs and fuel available

D: Boatyard day boat mooring

Sutton Staithe Boatyard 01692 581653

Screenshot_20230316-155608~2.png