Paying For Everything On The Broads

batrabill

On 25/06/2023 at 18:52, jeffbroadslover said:

It seems to me that those "responsible" people who decide that it is a good idea not to trim the footpath areas and allow it to become overgrown are very clever.

"If we don't keep the path passible, people will not use it and then we can say that  we will not spend our hard earned cash on something that will not be 

49 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I think it was what Tom from the BA posted last year on the thread ‘State of the Footpaths’. Either that if he mentioned the link and I got it off the BA website. 
It was in response to me asking which paths the BA are responsible for and which the county council. The county council ones can be found on their website somewhere, again probably linked on last year’s thread about 

On 25/06/2023 at 18:52, jeffbroadslover said:

On 26/06/2023 at 15:09, kpnut said:

I just found this, lurking in my phone from last year. It’s the mowing schedule for the BA moorings. Rockland short dyke is monthly. 
Hopefully this pdf will attach properly. 
Footpaths.pdf

I’ve just had an interesting conversation with a lady from the Blessed Authority regarding the rather overgrown moorings at Short Dyke.  It turns out that those particular moorings are part of a rewilding project in conjunction with the RSPB, and the grass will be left long at that site, although there should be access ways cut through the long grass at various points, to get to the footpath.  I’ve also been told that the grass has been trimmed back where it was overhanging the moorings.

With regard to Kate’s list, apparently there is no longer a schedule for cutting the grass - it’s now left to the rangers to decide when they need to be tidied.  So glad that despite the toll increase, services to navigation appear to have been reduced.

In case anyone ventures across Bargate and notices the excessive weed growth across the broad and particularly along the dyke leading to the Church Fen moorings, it is on their schedule for the weed to be trimmed, but there is no timescale proposed.  We went across on Sunday following a route directly across the broad between the dykes and my route was marked by a trail of chopped weed as we crossed.

IMG_0365.thumb.jpeg.b1678677de2c7029593651711514f204.jpeg

IMG_0373.thumb.jpeg.02959c8b9dab323e8599959c0e0f5af6.jpeg

IMG_0374.thumb.jpeg.e45d494a440d58d0286a4289f164343b.jpeg

IMG_0377.thumb.jpeg.520a1f07d00021f7b7a55e6effc18deb.jpeg

IMG_0378.thumb.jpeg.b34320bad8b916dbc56047c8aa0c6ecc.jpeg

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I’ve just had an interesting conversation with a lady from the Blessed Authority regarding the rather overgrown moorings at Short Dyke.  It turns out that those particular moorings are part of a rewilding project in conjunction with the RSPB, and the grass will be left long at that site, although there should be access ways cut through the long grass at various points, to get to the footpath.  I’ve also been told that the grass has been trimmed back where it was overhanging the moorings.

Thank you for doing this. I’m trying to work out just why the RSPB become involved in boat moorings! (There are access ways now by the way.) To be honest, it sounds like an excuse and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this reason is given for other moorings to be neglected or only partially maintained. 
I noticed the RSPB have closed the hide overlooking the Broad now due to it being unsafe and it looks as though that’s how it will stay. Probably being left to ‘rewild’ and eventually sink into the broad. 

• Sad 2