Paying For Everything On The Broads

batrabill

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ahhh, you've just brought back memories of fishnets... ;-)

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Don’t you still wear them then ?

Yes but! Only on Sundays during Lent. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2023 at 18:17, batrabill said:

Seeing a trend here? Government cut the money going to councils. Everyone sought savings. North Norfolk decided they didn’t have to collect boat waste, and left a vacuum that had to be filled by the hire companies, and through the goodwill of Parish Councils like Ludham who have a boat waste bin. 

I’m afraid that the BA are just joining in the trend, but never forget they were charging before, so the principle was established. It will end up, in my view, with. £10 charge everywhere. It’s not desirable,  it its also not the end of days, which the reaction of a few would suggest it is. 

North Norfolk have new waste facilities at Neatshead & Hoveton definitely - It was Great Yarmouth who removed all of their sites at Stokesby Repps side at Potter  & Acle Bridge South Norfolk have "Litter Bins" emptied daily at Loddon after misuse by non boaters

Maybe we don’t pay enough!  Having lost the moorings at Langley Dyke, from our base at Brundall, there aren’t a huge amount of options for decent moorings when we only have a weekend on board.  We tried for Hardley Mill last night, only to find it full, so stayed at Cantley.  This morning we decided to head for Short Dyke (Rockland) to spend the rest of the day and arrived a few minutes ago to find that ‘no mow May’ has extended well into June and almost into July.

What’s the plan @BroadsAuthority?  Do our tolls not cover a bit of strimming to maintain the few moorings we have left on the southern rivers?

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s a sad state of affairs, I do wonder how families get on when the kids want to play in the grass. Our two small dogs are struggling to walk almost anywhere we stop, their heads keep popping up to see where they are! When we stopped at Cantley it was obvious not a lot had been done there either. 

It’s very quiet here on the Southern Broads although today is a changeover day. Called in at Loddon Staithe to get a water fill and newspaper, only one small boat there. Actually able to moor side on to make life easier filling up. Only 3 boats moored at Pye’s Mill at 11am. 

6 hours ago, vanessan said:

It’s a sad state of affairs, I do wonder how families get on when the kids want to play in the grass. Our two small dogs are struggling to walk almost anywhere we stop, their heads keep popping up to see where they are! When we stopped at Cantley it was obvious not a lot had been done there either. 

It’s very quiet here on the Southern Broads although today is a changeover day. Called in at Loddon Staithe to get a water fill and newspaper, only one small boat there. Actually able to moor side on to make life easier filling up. Only 3 boats moored at Pye’s Mill at 11am. 

That sounds worrying. I hope that’s not a sign to come, when moorings on the southern Broads are underused. Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to being able to moor up on the southern broads week after next, but prolonged underuse will probably be taken as an excuse to reduce the number of moorings.

I know we tend to have a running joke on the forum to ‘supposedly’ keep people away from the precious south ‘beware of dragons’ etc. , but with the current state of things following the closure of yet another southern based yard, we should be encouraging as many people as possible to visit down south as possible. You know the mantra…use it or lose it. 

• Like 5

Not sure about this. It was only 10 days ago we had Berney Arms hasn’t been mown. But by the time I read that I’d seen them mow it 3 days before….. Is it possible that sometimes things get a bit long before they get cut? Does everything have to be such a drama? 

• Like 1

It's Norfolk in general - not just waterside, and it's darn dangerous. Maybe OK if you have a 4x4 sitting several feet up, but even on some of the roads in Norwich I've come close to accidents recently because I can't see over the grass easily. BTW I drive a 'normal' saloon car

• Sad 1

I have noticed the same here in kent, cycle paths that are supposedly wide enough for two cycles to pass are gradually being encroached to the point where the nettles have got to the point that one cycle can barely use the path, and passing oncoming cycles is a nightmare liable to end up with nettle stings (and some of these are designated national cycle ways)

• Sad 1

The answer of course is for councils to have more money for these, what many would call ‘extra’ things. They are in fact basic services. 

And for councils to have more money, they have to be given it from somewhere. Either council tax payers of their area, or from central govt through an increase in general taxation. 
As the saying goes, you can’t have something for nothing. 

The sadly logical outcome of footpaths /cycle paths / bridleways / green lanes being overgrown is fewer people bothering to venture out. Eventually the network we have in this country of accessible countryside falling into disuse and passing into the history books. I hope not, for my children’s and grandchildren’s sakes. 

19 minutes ago, kpnut said:

The answer of course is for councils to have more money for these, what many would call ‘extra’ things. They are in fact basic services. 

And for councils to have more money, they have to be given it from somewhere. Either council tax payers of their area, or from central govt through an increase in general taxation. 
As the saying goes, you can’t have something for nothing. 

The sadly logical outcome of footpaths /cycle paths / bridleways / green lanes being overgrown is fewer people bothering to venture out. Eventually the network we have in this country of accessible countryside falling into disuse and passing into the history books. I hope not, for my children’s and grandchildren’s sakes. 

You’re not wrong there, Kate.  We walked round to The New Inn for a welcome libation and a light lunch from the Short Dyke moorings.  The path has always been well maintained, but yesterday was something of a challenge, with weeds towering possibly nine feet tall overhanging the path.  I’m not sure to whom I should write, as I don’t know who is responsible for the path, but it won’t be long before it becomes virtually impassable.

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

I know it is water under the bridge, and I have harped on about this before. But why 13 years ago did they not improve Fleet Dyke instead of ripping it up.

I took these going to get my engine serviced at Marine-Tec in June 2010.

June10FleetDyke.thumb.jpg.7ba92ea682c1c9d73a452f88581dee6a.jpg

FleetDykeJune2010.thumb.jpg.bdbbca5dcb5d889c9c17102468e385f3.jpg

It could have solved a lot of problems today.

• Like 3

I know politics is a no go and  I will try and choose my words carefully, taking my local authority in particular and most London boroughs in general they are prepared to reduce services to promote the latest or current cultural trends and pull down the fabric of the area to swamp the place with massive blocks of flats, I am sure the same applies to a smaller amount everywhere, it seems every authorities agenda is more important than the needs of the population.

Fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

but yesterday was something of a challenge, with weeds towering possibly nine feet tall overhanging the path.

At least you could still see the path Malcolm. If you look back in my springers retreat thread at my walk from stokesby to Stracey arms in May. you’ll see some photos of virtually impassable public footpaths  

Last year, it turned out most of the public footpaths etc are county council maintained, not BA

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Numerous signs welcoming people to the "Broads National Park "  would not have been cheap for example.

I was talking to a ranger about similar MM. No good encouraging folk to come here by giving it a label and then it being unsuitable for the holidaymakers needs. It should be a good walking area, with three long distance trails and flat, so folk who can no longer traipse over numerous mountainous national parks can still go on a multi day excursion. 

• Like 4

Wow. That’s lovely.
But where was that line of mooring on Fleet Dyke? Between the ‘bend’ moorings and the ‘straight’ moorings that are there now?

Or perhaps where all the wild moorings spots are?

I know those two mooring sections are EA rather than BA  

image.jpeg.ac0d50f02dcb31234cdec4925fc83191.jpeg

I did notice that certainly where I live a lot of the vegetation just suddenly sprang to life. Must be the weather conditions we’ve had. Hopefully the right people will get to the places soon to maintain them. Personally I take part in lots of consultative surveys about service preferences for the council areas where I live. 

I thought that Mouldy's picture's of a pathway absolutely delightful. A cascade of wild flowers, ideal for insects, birds, and other creatures.

As for overgrown public footpaths it would suggest to me that they are not or rarely used and not subject to wear and tear as one would expect in the normal  course of events.

If you wish for manicured footpaths it does beg the question as to who has to pay for them or indeed wants them.

Andrew

• Like 1

Of course you’re right Andrew about flora and fauna and manicured is the last thing they should be. If you want that, the best place is a country park or whatever. But passable is needed, however often it’s used, otherwise as I said on my walk round Stracey arms etc that you can end up having an extremely long, and potentially dangerous (main roads etc) detour to get back home. On that walk, what should have been I think 3.5 miles turned into 8.5 and I fell a number of times through not being able to see the ground for vegetation. 
Ag least when councils don’t fulfil their obligations re potholes etc in the roads, you can claim for a damaged car. Not sure we could do the same for time off work with a broken leg etc after a fall on the footpath they are responsible for. 
I wrote to the county council about it but as yet have not heard back. 

6 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Where we live farmers and conservationists want them as it protects the countryside. Maybe Norfolk is different. 

Most of the permissive paths I come across, which are not public footpaths as such but farmers allowing folk across due to historic reasons or to join up a circular route or to keep people off a dangerous road, are very well maintained. It’s often a relief to get on one for a short while.