Aweigh App

NotDeadYet

5 hours ago, kpnut said:

What does it pick up as the nearest tidal reference?

In Yorks, it’s Boston if I remember, in Sussex it’s gypsy lane on the river Nene. 

Ha ha 😂 it uses the River Deben which is just a few thousand miles from here!!

Chris and Brenda

IMG_1494.png

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 17:09, Vaughan said:

This is the map that was issued free by Richardsons each time I hired a boat from them a few years ago.  Exactly the same map was available in Lathams and other Broads shops and I assume it still is.

I still have the same map, now somewhat tired with tears on the creases and many barely decipherable notes of wild moorings, good and bad pubs, and other out of date stuff. I love maps and charts so I can't throw it out yet!

• Like 4

I love the gentle drift of this thread, something you don't get on most social media, where everything has to be instant. For what it's worth, I've navigated myself around many undeveloped bits of Africa, plus some of that big blue salty thing that lurks beyond the Herring Bridge, using non electronic means. However, being pretty new to The Broads, and generally only getting there once a year, I do find the Aweigh app to be a handy thing. But I love a map/chart and my own eyes plus what remains of my brain!

• Like 6

This thread has just reminded me that there used to be a stationery shop in Hoveton precinct. I think it was in the shop which is now a Turkish barber's (unless anything has changed). I'm sure they used to still sell sheet/rolled maps in the late 70s - possibly something like 25 inch? Does anyone know if that would have been the case, or am I imagining it?

Does anyone still sell maps on that sort of scale now? Can't find anything listed on eBay or the OS website, but would quite like a fine detail map of Wroxham/Hoveton.