A Wonderful Trip On The Ps Waverley

Well sooo much has happened since we posted the Wells trip, this trip wasn;t in our own boat (I wish I could afford such a wonderful piece of history), it was in the absolutely magnificent PS Waverley - the World's last sea-going paddle steamer. In 2023 it returned to the East Coast for the first time in more than 20 years - and the good news is, that as the cruises were so popular (After all, it was reboilered locally at Gt Yarmouth!), PS Waverley will be returning again in 2024 - and Southwold Pier will also be on the agenda again!

I hope you enjoy our memories of an amazing day!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, lakesailor said:

Had a few great trips on the Waverley around the west coast of Scotland over the last 40 odd years. 

I would love to go again and have seen some of the Scottish trips - just wow - it is worth a drive I think as the back drop of Clacton and Ipswich does not compare to anything on the Clyde routes!

• Like 1

When I was a lad and Herne Bay pier was in one piece she used to pick up from the end of the pier then to Southend and eventually somewhere up the Thames.  The windows in the bar were partly under water which was quite fun after a few pints! :default_beerchug:

Thank you. That reminds of something we would like to do, if it's not fully booked already.

I saw reference to the Medway Queen which is open to the public (no Norfolk Nog, it's not a pub!) in Gillingham. Worth a trip I would think, along with a visit to the Chatham naval dockyard museum.

Anyone interested in old paddle steamers, old boats and history and wanting a good cry, Google "PS Ryde 2023" for the latest drone footage of this very sad ship.

• Like 1

The Historic Dockyard and the Medway Queen are worth a visit, a fascinating place. Two fully restored ships and a submarine with full access. The buildings in the dockyard are impressive and accessible.

The RNLI have a big undercover display of a whole range of lifeboats.

The Medway Queen is on an adjacent site and worth seeing. There is also a reasonable hotel on the edge of the dockyard.