Toll plaques

Jim

Hi All,

I've seen a number of boats where the toll is displayed on plastic/perspex plates which have been attatched to the bow rails. I thought these plates would be ideal for our tender as they could be fixed off the ropes that run from the bow using ty wraps or similar.

Can you buy these plastic plates easily enough or do they have to be made up?

cheers

Jim

Hello Jim, Mine like a few others are cut made from an offcut of Pvcu used in the window and fascia trade. Easy to cut with a hand saw and file the edges, drill etc. as you would a piece of ply. I with a few others are going to Rockland this evening if its possible i could leave you some somewhere if you're En Route :grin: (25/02/12)

cheers Wombat!

We're probably driving up from Herts to check her over tomorrow because when I went to look her over on Weds, she was in Ferry's wet shed!

I'll have a word with SWMBO as she was in the doors/window/conservatory business for many years and still has loads of contacts. We had a decent length of the stuff you mention which we were going to use to finish off around some large cable trunking where it met the ceiling. It never got used and all I have to do is find where I put it :oops:

Thanks very much for the offer though cheers

How about using a (front) car number plate ?

Lots of suppliers on Ebay will make "show plates" to the same spec, without any problems from the new reg doc legislation.

If you asked them to keep the reg number at one end, you even get a space to stick the toll plaque as well.

This link shows slightly smaller ones, 9" by 3" maybe just right for dinghy numbers. Nice rounded corners, ready made...

They even offer to "add slogans" at no extra cost. (maybe "tender to xxxx" instead of "supplied by Joe Bloggs Motors" !! )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEST-QUALITY- ... 35b95b7300

post-669-136713891015_thumb.jpg

Just thought i'd jump on here and let you know i actually do vinyl for signs etc

i made all the names for my own boat and a few others and have the plastic thing that the tolls are on :)

if anyone needs any prices etc just drop me a pm :wave

ps i also do mugs, T-shirts, coasters, mini teddy bears, aprons, and lots more etc all personalised with your name boat etc

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve which is timely as we have given our tender a name and would like some name plates made up. I picked up some PVCu cladding from Wickes yesterday which is easy to work with and will do nicely for the reg no and toll discs and would also be suitable for name plaques.

We decided on Topaz Too! as her name by the way.

That PVCu stuff is also good for fixing rotten window cills which kept me busy yesterday. New windows here are a must in the next few months!

I just laminate my toll, attached a bit of string and hang it off the sides of my inflatable. This was actually the advice i was given by the BA because it saves you losing tolls when the tenders deflated. My friend uses one of those plastic sheets you use in folders and taped the end of it shut. Both work really well :P

I just laminate my toll, attached a bit of string and hang it off the sides of my inflatable. This was actually the advice i was given by the BA because it saves you losing tolls when the tenders deflated. My friend uses one of those plastic sheets you use in folders and taped the end of it shut. Both work really well :P

Yes, me too. I stick the toll to a piece of card, then laminate that, then stick velcro tape on the back.

I have the matching velcro permanently stuck to the inflatables tubes.

As for the reg number, I used a permanent black marker with a large stencil, directly onto the tubes. They're light grey, so it shows up well, meeting the BA's requirement "Characters must be plain, not stylised, and must be applied on a contrasting background."

Done carefully, the stencil gives really neat letters, and the permanent marker lasts for several years, and can easily be touched up.