Diesel Fuel Duty

Posting here, in case it becomes another drawn out discussion, but I noticed a comment on another thread earlier about buying diesel and it costing within a few pence of garage prices.

What's the availability of reduced duty diesel used for heating these days? I know there were some changes in 2022 but, as I understand it, it's still perfectly feasible to claim a 60/40 propulsion/heating split and to get lower duty on the 40% and many places on the canals support this principle.

Are many suppliers on the Broads supporting this now? I think a while back, the number was fairly small, but that could have changed in either direction?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

I dont claim a split, as I dont have a heater, however if they apply one without asking, i dont complain.

It's not just about the heating. You need to run the engine to charge the batteries and to get some hot water.

• Like 1

They may well apply the split duty, as they do in Jones marina where I am, but if the fuel is a lot more to start with then even with the reduced duty you will be expensive.

And to be fair to the marinas, they are not selling anywhere near as much as a roadside forecourt, so won't get the same bulk discounts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garryn said:

It's not just about the heating. You need to run the engine to charge the batteries and to get some hot water.

not got hot water either on this engine- I do charge the batteries

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

And to be fair to the marinas, they are not selling anywhere near as much as a roadside forecourt, so won't get the same bulk discounts.

I'm not sure if they even sell fuel these days but a while back, prices at Hermitage Marina in Earith used to be substantially cheaper than prices on the Broads. I can't imagine they would have been selling more fuel than the typical Broads yard either.

What you've just said about Jones Boatyard goes some way towards confirming what I suspect, ie.that RGO yards are probably all routinely offering the reduced split.

Obviously, there are 3 likely situations - the yard does it by default, they do it if you ask, or they say they don't want the admin. I was just curious to see what the current status is, as there's a link in the menu to a page (now extremely out of date, and prices that we probably all wish for!), which only shows a small number of places doing 60/40.

42 minutes ago, grendel said:

...and a terribly inefficient charging system. Must take easily 40% of your fuel keeping the batteries topped up :default_wink:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

There was a discussion not that long ago that to qualify for the fuel duty relief boats were going to have to be retro fitted with a separate tank for heating fuel I believe 

There was an issue in Northern Ireland along those lines, but I know rules were introduced in that case which allowed reduction whilst still retaining a single tank.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Sutton Staithe still do the 60/40 split on red diesel, still  more expensive than some canal boatyards but I think their tank is quite small.

I think their 100% duty free is £1.25. Add the duty to 60% of your purchase and it comes to £1.57 or whatever someone said they’d paid the other day. 

• Like 1

Because it’s such a faff to be able to prove what % has been used for domestic/propulsion, the various authorities agreed a nominal 40/60 split. 

If you think you use a different % split, you can ask the supplier to charge it at whatever you declare. It’s up to you, as purchaser, to be able to prove it if HMRC request the info.
The supplier is only responsible for providing details of the transaction. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grendel said:

You're only allowed one luxury at a time to stop you getting too carried away 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, grendel said:

well when you change the selector switch over from start batteries to domestics, the engine does drop 200rpm

Lol, I can vouch for that as I saw it happen during the C-in-C when Grendel switched the charger over :default_rofl: