Can i rent someone with a trailer?

brandenjg

No stretched arms for me. I've found a company in norwich that rent boat trailers and after ringing round every person in my phone book, I've managed to find someone with a tow hook who's towed boats before. It's fair to say Happy Days, as will be picking the boat up this saturday :party2:

Bet the trailer hire cost more than your £30 budget

c1+E and D1+E thats pretty big stuff doubt i will ever go for those tests!

I am sure these are not the big stuff

I have all of them on my licence

C1E is a luton size (or even a 7.5 tonnner, as you can drive those on a normal licence) with trailer, and D1E is a minibus with trailer, not your HGV or PSV

cheersbar

If the trailer (assuming it’s a boat trailer and not a flat bed) is a hire one it will most likely be adjusted for the last boat that used it so make sure you adjust the side rollers or skids so that the weight is on the keel rollers and only supported from falling over by the side ones or you may damage the boat.

The trailer itself was £28 to hire then im paying £30 for the person with a tow hook. Double my budget, but if it means I get the boat I can't really complain :P

Good luck to you Brandenjg, £ 58 may seem out of proportion to the rest of your purchase, but if its saves losing the deal that otherwise suited you perfectly then it's well justified.

I did something similar myself, a few decades ago... :)

This really is going to unfold into a great boating career I hope, it's great to see younger people putting themselves to trouble and improvising to get a foot on the ladder instead of being handed stuff on a plate.

I am sure these are not the big stuff

I have all of them on my licence

C1E is a luton size (or even a 7.5 tonnner, as you can drive those on a normal licence) with trailer, and D1E is a minibus with trailer, not your HGV or PSV

cheersbar

Maybe not HGV or PSV but you can drive them, I cant! also i thought B1 was Luton? B1 I am alowed. When i did the B+E test I enquired as to the cost of the C1 training, My instuctor said there was little piont as for the same money and pretty much same test i could jump to the next one (cant remember wich) but it would cost over £1500! so i shall never be hiring a 7.5T flatbed! this i know because a few years ago my father and i wanted to hire one and i couldnt put my liecence down so dad had to go down as the sole driver. I drove it anyway! ssh dont tell. :naughty:

I passed my test in 83, have they brought out other tests since, so that you can upgrade, so to speak, to the 7.5 tonners

And as to the post I put with C1 being luton size, I also said it could be the 7.5 ton as my eyes are not what they should be, and I could not make out the shape on the back of my licence, maybe I shouldn't drive them as well, but ssshhhh don't tell anyone.

cheersbar

I passed my test in 83, have they brought out other tests since, so that you can upgrade, so to speak, to the 7.5 tonners

And as to the post I put with C1 being luton size, I also said it could be the 7.5 ton as my eyes are not what they should be, and I could not make out the shape on the back of my licence, maybe I shouldn't drive them as well, but ssshhhh don't tell anyone.

cheersbar

you passed in 83 so you need not worry you can drive almost anything, those of us who passed after 97 need to be aware that we are very limited without taking alot of tests!

After paying £10 extra for a number plate and having the winch wire slip a few times, we finally got the boat home safely :party: 1st job today was filling a couple cracks which are now sorted.

Thanks for all the kind and informative posts

Now let the restoration project begin :pirate

This all takes me back to my early years and I for one will be so interested to see the progress of the restoration thread that I'm sure will now be started, bloody well done matey and any help I can offer (though remotely) you only have to ask, I have loads of end of spool cabling, connectors, junctions and other electrical stuff that I am happy to pop in a jiffy bag for you, just ask as the need arises. This kind of thing is at the heart of what this forum is about, well in my view anyway.

From the photo you posted, it's a nice-sized boat Brandenjg.

The ability to overnight, (plus other "basic creature comforts"), and yet still very manageable on a trailer and when launching, no worse than a large dinghy.

When people eventually move on from that size, they often miss the extended cruising range that such compact craft give, (anywhere around the UK, inland and coastal, when trailed).

Good luck with it mate, hope you have a great time renovating and getting it on the river.

Why did you need to spend 10 quid on a number plate, a bit of cardboard and a marker pen would have done....failing that (if the car plate is obscured by the trailer) take the plate off of the car and put that on the trailer... every penny helps

cheersbar

Good luck with it mate, hope you have a great time renovating and getting it on the river.

Why did you need to spend 10 quid on a number plate, a bit of cardboard and a marker pen would have done....failing that (if the car plate is obscured by the trailer) take the plate off of the car and put that on the trailer... every penny helps

cheersbar

You might get away with the cardboard, especially being able to prove that the boat was just purchased and was going a very short distance.

The Police reaction to a car without a rear numberplate could be quite different though ! :roll:

Well done Brandenjg takes me back to my first boat which was a 16ft Dory.

Pound for pound it was the best fun I ever had boating; I learnt more in that boat than any other since.

A boat that size allows you to occasionally 'get away' with things.

I have been aground on the banks of the Thames Estuary in my Dory many times but unlike something bigger which could be catastrophic it was a case of heaving it back into the nearest water :oops:

Keep us posted on your progress cheersbar

You might get away with the cardboard, especially being able to prove that the boat was just purchased and was going a very short distance.

The Police reaction to a car without a rear numberplate could be quite different though ! :roll:

I was under the impression that once coupled the tow veihicle and trailer become one train and thus the just a number plate on the trailer would surfice and as for the cardboard the symbols would be of the correct font, size and on the reflective plate far more leagal than the cardboard which is 100% illegal.