Stracey Arms

wonderwoman

Can anyone tell me what pub/restaurant is now at Stracey Arms. Last time we moored there was about 13years ago and it was The Stracey Arms. I had heard it was once a Chinese and has been an American diner. Also is the windmill still open to the public ad is the shop still there? :)

Hi Wonderwoman, indeed the pub remains closed, but the windmill and shop were open last summer during the high season, selling basic provisions, newspapers and magazines, although on the day we popped in the cafe was closed.

Julz :wave

The shop is extended from what it used to be and one of the better riverside stores in my view.

Why the pub site hasn't been snapped up is always a mystery to me. I would have thought the potential footfall is huge given the number of boats stopping there and the amount of traffic on the A47.

Called in there at the start of April.

No sign from the river of the pub having reopened (but I didnt walk that far to check)

The cafe is now located in the extension to the shop, nice full english breakfast available.

(proprietress said "We only have to pay one set of buisness rates, and I can serve in the shop as well as the cafe")

Basic provisions available, also papers, magazines, and lots of souvenirs and toys.

Our kids always see it as one of the "must go" places, as they always want to get something for Grandma

( a box of fudge I think it was this year)

Windpump is usually open, suggested donation of £2 for adults but free for the kids.

Also worth noting that they do have a water point available, controlled from the shop,

but I didn't need any so don't know what they charge for water.

Sue and Tony Brightwell the owners of the riverside shop and tea room are open from the first week in April through to mid November. During our visits as hirers and more recently private boaters they have become very good friends of ours.

The shop sells a variety of provisions including tobacco and off licence wines, beers, spirits and many of them locally sourced. Newspapers, magazines and a range of toys and gifts (which is why my kids like it) are also available. In addition you can get a cracking full english breakfast in the tea room. The windpump is open to the public with a suggested donation of £2.00 per adult and £0.70 per child. There is an exhibition inside the windpump and if you are brave enough it is possible to climb to the top. The windpump is currently undergoing maintenance by the Norfolk windmill trust and later this year should be fitted with new sails and fantail (the old ones have recently been removed) As for the Stracey Arms, It's last use was a Chinese buffet but that closed in 2009. The building has suffered several break in's during its dormant period, but now has a new tennant who have been busy over the last few months refurbishing it to reopen as a Spanish Tapas Bar. they believe that the majority of the trade will come from the A47. There is a small sign riverside, but that is it. If you didn't know it was open you could quite easily mistake the site as closed, as the signs from when it was the "Pontiac Roadhouse" (before the chinese) are still there.