Hi

sleepyjoe

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

With regards to grocery shops on the Southern Broads.

At Somerleyton there is a post office but it is a good walk from the 24 hour mooring (could be a good excuse to call in the Dukes head on the way back)

Waveney River Centre there is a shop of sorts and of course the pub (its around £10 to stop the night but includes power hook up if you need it, showers and toilets are good, also there is a swimming pool on site)

Beccles Yacht station (£7.60 mooring extra if you want electric hook up, £1.75 for a 12 minute shower, also washer/driers in the toilet blocks) very good walk to the shops but plenty of shops.

Oulton Broad Yacht Station same prices as Beccles (worth mooring there if the power boat racing is on there on the Thursday

night) The main shops are on the street beyond the Wherry Hotel (recently reopened a few months ago) several pubs for meals.

Reedham village mooring there are some provisions available from the post office a few pubs to choose from, I prefer to moor at the Reeham Ferry, (boats mooring can use the pubs showers situated in both toilets out of hours by using the side entrance near the red telephone box) good meals and I know I am sad but I love watching the ferry going backwards and forwards.There is a mooring charge overnight but not that much.

Loddon up the River Chet is a great village with a staithe at the end, there are some electric posts, water and toilets. Oposite the car park is a great cafe next door one of those late opening stores that sells everything, up the road is a co-op, four pubs to choose from all serving meals.

Brundall if you go pass through Brundall you will see a small 24 hour mooring it only has space for a couple of boats but up the path from here will take you to the church and the shops there is Budgens that sell again almost everything you may need.

Going towards Norwich you will get to the Ferry Inn good meals here and a few electric posts (I think you can reserve moorings) Bramerton 24 hour moorings is very good with an electric post towards the far end of the mooring (dump it site at this end near the road) short walk along the lane to Woods End Tavern (last time we were in the meal was good) or you can moor outside the pub, watch out for the jetty it can be slippy.

Some people will moor at the Norwich Yacht Station but if you do make sure it is inside the gates, we found it to noisy so we went back to the short little leg that as 24 hour mooring (good spot to moor if you want to into Norwich by bus, just over the railway bridge and 150 yards up to the main road, the bus stop is on the left.

Enjoy your time on the boat.

Regards

Alan

hello everybody great forum.

staying south this year how easy is it to find grocery shops ie milk ect.

thanks joe

hi joe welcome to our forum, you'll find everyone's friendly on here, hope you have a great hols, might see you at loddon when you take over from us , lori :Stinky

Hello Joe,

If you go to the staithe at Rockland St Mary the New Inn is 50 yards from the mooring just over the road.

The pubs at Loddon are all within 500 yards of the mooring (The white Horse Chedgrave, turn right over the bridge is the furthest but worth the visit). The cafe is just through the carpark and across the road, same with the shop next door.

Dukes Head is about 300 yards from the mooring up a lane.

Pubs you can moor outside, so close walking.

Ferry Inn at Surlingham, all the pubs at Reedham including the Ferry Inn, Coldham Hall at Brundall, Woods End at Bramerton, The Bell at St Olaves (but watch out for the bridge a lot of current here).

The Waverley River Centre all within the site, pub and pool the furthest at less than 200 yards.

I would think that you can moor outside the Wherry Hotel on Oulton Broad, but if you moor at the yacht station there is a couple of pubs and some shops in less than 300 yards.

I hope the above helps, there maybe some places that I have forgot.

Regards

Alan

Hello Joe,

If you go to the staithe at Rockland St Mary the New Inn is 50 yards from the mooring just over the road.

The pubs at Loddon are all within 500 yards of the mooring (The white Horse Chedgrave, turn right over the bridge is the furthest but worth the visit). The cafe is just through the carpark and across the road, same with the shop next door.

Dukes Head is about 300 yards from the mooring up a lane.

Pubs you can moor outside, so close walking.

Ferry Inn at Surlingham, all the pubs at Reedham including the Ferry Inn, Coldham Hall at Brundall, Woods End at Bramerton, The Bell at St Olaves (but watch out for the bridge a lot of current here).

The Waverley River Centre all within the site, pub and pool the furthest at less than 200 yards.

I would think that you can moor outside the Wherry Hotel on Oulton Broad, but if you moor at the yacht station there is a couple of pubs and some shops in less than 300 yards.

I hope the above helps, there maybe some places that I have forgot.

Regards

Alan

thanks Alan.

this will be a great help.

joe

Thanks Alan - your tips and recommendation are very reassuring and I am sure will be helpful - I have printed them out and will be putting them to good use from tomorrow!

We hope to be at the Alpha Craft yard in Brundall around 1 pm ready for our hand-over demonstration (which I eagerly await) the problem is two of the party speak very little English (they come from the old DDR (East Germany) where English was not taught) so I have to take it all in and translate later! Should be good fun HOWEVER they do enjoy a glass of wine or a cold beer!

If any of you see us in the Alpha Rapide give us a wave :wave

Ted,

My normal little cheat when returning to Alphacraft is to park on the first space

I can find rather than trying to back all the way into the basin.

(there is even a space on the dyke at the end of the yard)

I then go and check-in at reception and leave it up to them to do the tricky bit of putting her back into the correct space.

And that would go double for Rapide as I don't think that she has a bow thruster.

The Alphacraft yard is a long way from anywhere so if you tried to go into the yard on the last night you may find it hard to get somewhere to eat (your car may be jammed in by other crews' vehicles!)

The Coldham Hall pub is almost right opposite the entrance to the dyke that leads up to Alphacraft

and if you moor there for the last night there you can slip over and moor up in about 5 minutes the next morning.

Martin