river yare and wensum 1960 onwards

jillR

:wave  thanks jill for putting that first one on, it brings back memories for me, my dad moored at the other side of that railway bridge, & went to the pub, & must have got up someones back as someone undid our ropes , :norty:  I was only young at the time & I remember my dad whistling & waking me up, & asking me to throw the rope to him, & it took 3 attempts ,as the boat was near the bridge , good job it wasn't on main river . lori :Stinky

• 1 month later...

I remember the shipping on the Yare, going up to The Port Of Norwich. I was living in Norfolk then. I loved seeing those ships on the river. A little disconcerting sometimes as you came around a bend and met one!

Rather sad that its all gone.

Hello Ebbtide,

Welcome to the forum from Tan & myself.

As you say it is a pity that the commercial craft are no longer seen on the rivers. If you have been following the blog that John (Hockham Admiral) has posted above his current holiday in Holland, most European countries have a better policy with regards to using commercial craft.

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan & Tan

I do know your post from another forum. In fact I recognise a few names here.

Yes European waterways  have got it together. I was in Belgium a couple of years ago, and it was a pleasure to see the waterways carrying commercial traffic. I notice that the last barge traffic on the Trent finished a couple of weeks ago alas.

I guess when all of the roads are "bunged up" completely perhaps there will be a re-think.

I do rather like this forum & I will take a look at Johns Blog

Maurice

• Like 1

Hi Fred. Thanks for the welcome.

The film is dated 1962.  I can remember it being as busy as that sometime around the mid 60s.

then in 1976 I was working in the area and would often park up and watch the shipping activity. It was in decline then, though a lot of timber was still being shipped to Boulton & Paul I think coal also was coming in still.  I seem to remember the decline was hastened with a problem at Carrow Road Bridge.

Ships were still coming in until the late 70s and possible the early 80s.

I seem to remember ships still coming to Cantly even later.

Unfortunately  putting everything on the road is rather short sighted. When the road are bunged up, we  won't have any wharfs, as nearly all have been built on!

• Like 2

Unfortunately  putting everything on the road is rather short sighted. When the road are bunged up, we  won't have any wharfs, as nearly all have been built on!

Absolutely, Maurice.

I've just posted half a dozen pics (on our Dutch Hols Topic) of the barges on a Saturday morning here in Holland. There were quite a few more but I didn't want it to get too boring! They seem far more long-term sighted over here.

• Like 1

Thanks John.

I am following your blog with interest. That's a lovely vessel your aboard. I am sure your both having a wonderful time.

Re commercial traffic. You will have guessed its something I am rather passionate about!

Maurice

• Like 1

Superb archive film! I'm slightly younger than the film, but even so still remember the coasters coming up to Cantley. I seem to remember there were some rumblings about that recommencing but it seemed to have died a death. There was obviously a good reason why but I don't know what it was, silting etc perhaps?

I certainly don't remember Norwich looking so industrial, and didn't even know there was a powerstation near the old Boulton and Paul site!

• Like 2

Terrific film, some of it looks as though it hasn't changed that much and was shot yesterday in black and white.  

Loved the part showing a couple of cars up on the road and describing the traffic hurrying through Thorpe.  

:clap

John

It brought back memories for me too. Most years in the fifties and sixties we would travel to visit relatives in Gorleston during the summer holidays. After traversing the Southern ring road we would come out through Thorpe and I remember there was always a very large white cruiser with portholes all down the side moored on the far bank. I wonder if anyone else remembers it or knows any more about it.

That's the one Jill. Lovely to see it again. It was always notable due to the shape of the portholes. I'd be interested to know if it survives but I guess probably not.

I remember recently reading on another forum I think, that it was an MTB converted to a house boat, and ended its days in Jenners Basin on the island.

There is a lot more to the story, and I expect someone more informed than I will come along with more information.

Maurice

Good picture Jill.

I don't remember that. The date on the picture is 1993 though the picture looks earlier. I just can't seem to recall what sort of winter we had in 93.

12" of ice imagine hitting that with a grp cruiser!

Maurice

Look again - it's 1997. What caught my eye was the web address printed at the bottom and I've been trying to work out when the www first started to come into general use. Also it's printed in colour and I can't remember when that first became commonplace either.