Southern Broads - Any trouble with otters?

JohnRyan

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

It is difficult to assess fish stocks in relation to otters. However, what I do know is that I see a lot more otters now and whereas a few years ago I use to see Tufted Ducks and Pochards, I don't see any now. Ducks, Great Crested Grebes and Dabchicks also appear to have diminished in numbers. I understand otters will take eggs from nests and also take young chicks. The way things are going we will finish up with just thousands of Greylag Geese which are just everywhere in huge numbers.

These idiots who have reintroduced otters, should have left the eco structure of the Broads alone.

The people who reintroduced otters to the many rivers of Norfolk. Were the Norfolk Otter Trust based on the lower Waveney at Earsham near Bungay.

Run by the much vaunted Phillip Wayre one of the country's leading conservationists and naturalists.

Not only did they introduce them they also released many into the lower Waveney. Saying (and I quote) "Probably most important is the fact that it's no longer necessary, or indeed desirable, to keep British otters in captivity."

In South Norfolk I am friends with two carp lake owners or managers. This cost them a fortune both had to have their lakes fenced as they were losing, prized 40 year (and upwards) old carp to otters. One lady I know it cost her £18,000 just for the fencing, luckily the members of the syndicate who fish there erected it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, batrabill said:

Humans kill off Otters, change predator/prey balance.

Humans put Otters back. Fisherfolk get angry. Why?

Sorry to disillusion you but it's not just fish, as a top predator they take anything from Swans and Geese down, the only thing that controls them is food supply that's why contrary to what some will tell you you can get 3 or 4 in a short stretch  of waterway, if conservationist are so keen to restore the balance of nature why have they not reintroduced Wolves and Bears their natural predator and also that of Beavers and Deer etc.

Fred

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

if conservationist are so keen to restore the balance of nature why have they not reintroduced Wolves and Bears their natural predator and also that of Beavers and Deer etc

Don’t give them ideas Fred! I read somewhere that some people think it would be a good idea to reintroduce wolves to Scotland. Mad!