Trouble with rain water ingress

Hi all, I'm having a lot of trouble with rainwater getting into the starboard bilge.I've had a look and can see where it's coming from but dont know exactly how to seal it without ripping up the floor. I've measured it back and it stems from the end of the cupboard containing the draining board. The floor of the cupboard is sealed against the hull so I don't really want to have to rip this up if I can help it. The thing that really puzzles me though is the back of the boat is completely covered so I don't know how the water is getting there in the first place. Any ideas would be gratfully recieved, thanks

post-17992-0-42492400-1379174473_thumb.j

post-17992-0-77979100-1379174673_thumb.j

Hi John, she's a dawncraft dandy ( I know ,but someone's got to own them). There's some pictures of her in the new members section under the heading "newbie to this forum". Originally I believe there were inspection hatches at the stern but for some reason the previous owner decided to cover them over and fibre glass it to the hull.

Hi John, she's a dawncraft dandy ( I know ,but someone's got to own them). There's some pictures of her in the new members section under the heading "newbie to this forum". Originally I believe there were inspection hatches at the stern but for some reason the previous owner decided to cover them over and fibre glass it to the hull.

Sounds like reinstating those inspection panels would be a good start, you cannot fix what you can't get to, leaks can be very tricky to track as water may enter in one place but not be visible until in a very different area.

You could try sealing the cleats at that side. I had one

that was leaking and it took an age to find it!!

It was caused by the screws having been overtightened

and stripping the fibreglass to the point that they would leak.

Took it off and filled with fibreglass resin and re-drilled and 

then sealed with Marineflex. Job done.  :dance

Worth a look.

You could try sealing the cleats at that side. I had one

that was leaking and it took an age to find it!!

It was caused by the screws having been overtightened

and stripping the fibreglass to the point that they would leak.

Took it off and filled with fibreglass resin and re-drilled and 

then sealed with Marineflex. Job done.  :dance

Worth a look.

Your cleats are screwed on? im surprised they have  not ripped out, possibly the quality sealant gluing them down!

You can also get some very good stuff called The Captains Creeping Crack Cure, which you can pour into the point at which you suspect the ingress is coming from, and it will follow the line of flow before setting to become a fairly durable seal.

Ok, im a caravanner, but l used this stuff on the GRP panels of my last caravan to cure a leak between where the awning rail joined onto the moulded GRP, and it did keep it dry until a more perminent repair could be made and a new rail fitted, or in our case lol, we sold it onto a dealer and bought a new caravan.

Julz

We used it externally too, and at a point that was very exposed to the forces of the elements, not to mention the pull of the awning in high winds, and the flexing of the GRP whilst being towed at much greater speed than a boat ever travels.

Its really good stuff and well worth every penny you pay for it, handy to use around the house too.

Julz

Your cleats are screwed on? im surprised they have  not ripped out, possibly the quality sealant gluing them down!

I wonder if we are getting cleats and fairleads mixed up here??? I agree with Mark, Cleats should be bolted and if possible have a backing plate for strength, I've always screwed the fairleads down and never had a problem with them, one little tip no-one has mentioned is when you re-silicone them, don't tighten the screws or bolts right up or you'll squeeze all the silicone out from under them, tighten them up just enough so the silicone oozes from the sides, leave it to go off properly then go back and tighten them right up, that way you get a solid bed of silicone under the fitting,,

Regards Frank,,,,

I wonder if we are getting cleats and fairleads mixed up here??? I agree with Mark, Cleats should be bolted and if possible have a backing plate for strength, I've always screwed the fairleads down and never had a problem with them, one little tip no-one has mentioned is when you re-silicone them, don't tighten the screws or bolts right up or you'll squeeze all the silicone out from under them, tighten them up just enough so the silicone oozes from the sides, leave it to go off properly then go back and tighten them right up, that way you get a solid bed of silicone under the fitting,,

Regards Frank,,,,

not sure I fully agree as when your sealant is set around the screw you have a seal, to then turn the screw could break the seal around it creating a leak, it is after all only the fixing hole that need to be sealed around, water creeping in from around the screw head and down the thread is a very common source of a leak. Fairleads screwed down makes sense, I do screw them down but not cleats.