Ever fancied a ride in one of these?

ExMemberBobdog

small wooden day boat.....

25 grand.........

I might give it a miss this time

:Stinky

small ?   a 29 ft long boat ?

wooden ?  grp hull with wooden cabin ......   :)

If these are sold (I doubt it will be anywhere at the level the BA wants) I wonder where the sales fee will end up on the balance sheet, one would hope that it would be a positive figure against capital equipment.

Regards

Alan

On the other hand, it's good to see them trying for the best selling price first, and then maybe reducing it, if it doesn't shift.

It is our money, after all.....

But who is going to patrol the Wroxham and Ludham areas???

"The launches have been replaced by the heavy weather vessel Spirit of Breydon patrolling Breydon Water and a new generation launch with a hybrid engine patrolling the River Yare."

Yes, I wondered that too.

Not a very well thought out press release, it does indeed leave the impression that only the Spirit of Breydon will occasionally venture up the 20 miles from Yarmouth, leaving it's primary strong tidal area unpatrolled  !

According to another page on the BA website though:

The Authority has nine patrol launches, a fast rigid inflatable boat (RIB) and two dories. The Rangers also have a number of 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles.

from http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/patrol.html

So even if they are including the new SOB and the two for sale in that figure, that means presumably that they still have at least six of these older style launches left.

Hopefully it was just a badly written article, and they do intend to still station at least one in the upper Bure area.

Crazy if not, being the busiest area, perhaps needing the Rangers presence the most.

B)small ? a 29 ft long boat ?

wooden ? grp hull with wooden cabin ...... :)

Artistic licence, I saw wood, and it looks small (when I have seen them in the distance)  B)

They were designed to give minimal wash and power requirements at displacement hull speed, hence the extreme length to beam ratio, and poor accommodation space.

Good job the hire companies don't follow the same formula, Clive's 10 berth boats would be the length of the Queen of the Broads:naughty:

They are great looking launches, very similar to the police launches on the Thames.

John I have seen at least one of the smaller new launches that have a look of the older ones being worked upon at Broom's in one of their covered docks. These new launches will of course be able to work anywhere on the Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

A bit of shuffling around is going on.

SoB and the new hybrid (diesel/electric) launch (that looks externally pretty much like the others) have been added to the fleet allowing the BA to put these two 40 year old launches (the woodentops, the oldest launches in the fleet), up for sale.  

The old Breydon launch, and the old Yare launch (both about 25 years old) are being redeployed to the northern rivers, so there will be one launch based at Wroxham, one at Irstead, and two at Womack, as previously. 

I think the original intention was for the new hybrid to go north as a direct replacement for the Barton, but because the engines are lighter, she sits higher in the water and won't always go under Potter Heigham/Wroxham bridges.

There's no net reduction in the size of the fleet.

And Alan is right, they were built/intended as Thames launches originally.

• Like 1