how deep are the broads

sanderling

Russell, Hi

I doubt your draft will be a problem on the Southern Broads.  Your air-height probably precludes much of the Northern Broads, if you can at first get under the GH bridges.

We had a 4'6" draft yacht and went pretty much the whole length of the Yare and Waveney (but NOT the Chet!) without problems.

Russell, Hi

I doubt your draft will be a problem on the Southern Broads.  Your air-height probably precludes much of the Northern Broads, if you can at first get under the GH bridges.

We had a 4'6" draft yacht and went pretty much the whole length of the Yare and Waveney (but NOT the Chet!) without problems.

hi there

thanks for the imfo, she will fold down to 8ft 4in so  ludham will be as far as we can get i guess

many thanks   Russell

The Broads Authority web site contains hydrographical data for the whole of the navigation here . Follow the links on that page to get the detailed data, such as Northern Rivers and Southern Rivers.

You should be OK on most of the rivers, some of the broads can get a bit shallow, depending on the prevailing weather conditions.

At 8' 4", even Ludham Bridge is do-able at the right state of tide. Some of Richardson's hire craft, kept at Stalham, above the bridge, have an airdraft of 8' 6".

The Broads Authority web site contains hydrographical data for the whole of the navigation here . Follow the links on that page to get the detailed data, such as Northern Rivers and Southern Rivers.......

....and very interesting they are too, but you need to bear in mind that the surveys all still appear to be dated 2010.

A great deal of dredging has been done since then, so many of the soundings may be deeper now, (hopefully !)

When those surveys were first published on the BA website, the navigation through the maps was very cumbersome, it's good to see that they have improved it significantly.

It was so bad before that I transposed it to overlays on the OS digital OL40 map, to make it handier in the boat. (Very useful when fishing :) )

post-195-0-08555500-1392032218_thumb.jpg

no worries with yer boat it will even come up to me

we have had several boots like yours here

only bottom which is hard on the ant is the bit at irstead out side ice house as its got a hard clay / sand bank

that I have come across ......

been stuck on it befor only at extreme low waters

for a second or two ......

rest orf our bruds is mostly silty bottoms and cruise with ease

enjoy yer trip ..........

most orf the time our end is in excess orf the 4 foot mark easy

bring yer ole steelie up the bruds ive got one or two like yours moor with me too .......

no worries with yer boat it will even come up to me

we have had several boots like yours here

only bottom which is hard on the ant is the bit at irstead out side ice house as its got a hard clay / sand bank

that I have come across ......

been stuck on it befor only at extreme low waters

for a second or two ......

rest orf our bruds is mostly silty bottoms and cruise with ease

enjoy yer trip ..........

most orf the time our end is in excess orf the 4 foot mark easy

bring yer ole steelie up the bruds ive got one or two like yours moor with me too .......

hi there 

are you up near stalham?

I am sure I remember those steel hulled Braydon Marines boats in the 80's moored well up the River Ant. As for the Chet .....Errrr NO not recommended even after all the dredging!

I am sure you will enjoy the cruise up the Ant though, so much to see up there.