Guide wires

Guest plesbit

Like many seagoing boats, and even some river cruisers, Silver Dream is fitted with stainless steel rails around the bow and plastic encased guide wires running along the side deck. They are visible in this pic taken by Ian (palmtree) last summer.

714642879_d2d14c54a6.jpg

Unfortunately at some point last week some mysterious event took place in the marina which appears to have included, though not necessarily limited to, moving the boat out of its berth, damaging it, and moving it back again all, apparently, without the knowledge of consent of the marina. Anyway, the upshot is that my guide wires have been severed and I now need new ones. Anyone know where I should start looking for this kind of thing?

Thanks - I'll see what I can do - would be nice to have it fixed by Thursday, but I can't see that happening! Not really sure where there are any rag and stick shops in the region but I'll see what I can find.

Thanks again all, Norfolk Marine was going to be my first port of call. I'll see how I get on there. I'm going down tonight to sort various bits and pieces out ahead of a 4 day trip out later in the week so I'll dismount the old stuff and measure up.

Why do I get the feeling that, despite just being a bit of wire with plastic casing, it is going to come at a typically "marine" price?

Why do I get the feeling that, despite just being a bit of wire with plastic casing, it is going to come at a typically "marine" price?

You may find difficulty getting coated stuff Simon, but the ordinary (if it can be called that) stuff serves just as well and in fact looks better IMHO and is easy to keep clean, you are probably right about the price though.

i would recomend you to phone

paul at lowestoft yacht services for a quote on lake lothing

he has the crimping gear as well and would do it for you

01502 585534

hes a really nice chap and i bet his prices will be better

jill

post-115-136713411249_thumb.jpg

Try not to use the plastic coated stuff - it can hide all manner of problems and at its worst if you lean against it it could break due to an unseen fault such as corrosion.

Certainly no "real" boat would have the plastic coated stuff - looks like washing line!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I do agree with Marshman crevice corrosion can occur very quickly where stainless is covered in a salt water environment. The type of stainless 304 or 316 will not change this situation.

If you spot brown stains on or around your stainless take the item off and check for corrosion on the hidden face.

Ian :Sailing

Hi Simon, sorry to hear about the incident, also noted that you are planing another sea excursion, looks like you can't get enough of the salty stuff now you have tasted it. Good luck with the weather it certainly seems to be set fair.

Ian

I'll look into what the options are then - all the boats near me appear to have plastic coated stuff as well so I didn't really know I had any alternative. It's not very clever, the plastic breaks in all the places where any pressure is brought to bear and the bit that comes out from behind it rots quickly. I find it hard to believe that the existing ones are stainless of any sort so I'll be pleased to get better quality ones for the future.

Trouble is, I doubt I'll get it done before we go to sea (Thursday), not that anyone will be out on deck when we do but SWMBO is tasked with lifting all the fenders before we do, and this is normally done as we exit the harbour - not somewhere I would like to risk a man (or woman) overboard situation. I wonder if can "borrow" one off one of the other Mirages in the marina. :naughty:

Entirely played by ear Perry! Thursday and Friday is the Lowestoft Air Festival and I believe there might be some power boats visiting at the weekend. Due to complications with SWMBO shifts we're locking through at 1300 Thursday and intend to remain until the Sunday. That should give us a few days to play with and see what happens.

The Avro Vulcan is down for the display so I'll be taking my ear defenders!

i would recomend you to phone

paul at lowestoft yacht services for a quote on lake lothing

he has the crimping gear as well and would do it for you

01502 585534

hes a really nice chap and i bet his prices will be better

jill

Hi Jill,

I phoned this guy whilst I was actually on Lake Lothing last Thursday - in fact I had just past the bit of water in the picture. There was no answer, even though he was actually in the yard, and to date he has not returned my call (despite the detailed message left) so I guess I'll be looking elsewhere. Thanks all the same.