The Kelpies

BroadScot

post-18022-0-00527500-1408007806_thumb.jHi folks,

While away at the weekend at Linlithgow, I sent out the happy snapper SWMBO :naughty:  with her sister to a new attraction up here The Kelpies. You can see these amazing pieces of engineering as you drive along the M9,

post-18022-0-05428900-1408007004_thumb.jpost-18022-0-09003400-1408007267_thumb.j

• Like 5

Hello Iain,

Wow!!!! :bow  :bow  :bow

Thank you for sharing this this wonderful attraction.

This is a work of art unlike the rusty item the "Angel of the North"

The design and enginineering is first class and the link that Dave included is well worth a look if only for the time lapse construction video.

Oh I wish it had been completed whilst we were up there last year, looks like a trip might be on the cards again. 

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Aye do return, but I wid give it time to settle down, By all accounts just now its manic at weekends. Don't go near it if Falkirk FC have a home game, its busy enough without football traffic. The sign at the visitors attraction says..."Hawd yer Horses" lol .All will come to those that wait, I guess.

cheers Iain.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

An Update...

I was there again today with the man who was involved in the Kelpies Project, as he used to work for Falkirk Distrct Council.

Apparently the original idea was to use the Kelpies as a means of opening a lock. The budget though, and the engineering involved meant it did not proceed.

The biggest surprise to the council has been  the visitor numbers to the Falkirk Wheel. Well over a million at the last count.

Also today, at the Kelpies, considering schools are back in, there was a steady stream of folks going to it.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

I am surprised that the visitors going to the Falkirk Wheel is only a million, the site was very busy on the three days that we went on site.

The first time was via car to check out the wheel and where we had to go to collect the boat, The office was inside the complex but the boats were moored on the canal below the wheels basin lower lock.

Where about is the location of the Kelpies in relation to the wheel.

I assume they must be nearer to the centre of Falkirk, we had to go down to the next lock in order to turn around the boat before returning to the boat yard.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Its nearer Grangemouth than Falkirk I would say, but, in saying that, there is I think access from Falkirk Football Club Stadium.

Personally when its all finished it will be a massive attraction. I only walked a short step towards it, as my arthritis was being norty today.

Yes, I agree with the Million figure, it does sound very low IMHO like your goodself.

cheers Iain.

• 7 months later...

Bump,

I have dragged this thread up as DonnyGeoff, will be "sunbathing" on these waters this weekend. Looks like he has selected the best area for good weather. Make that factor 15 Geoff looking at the weekend forecast for the Central Belt! :naughty:

Have a safe journey and a great time in Scotland. :)

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain

Thanks for this, i do believe they may be featured on tomorrow nights Canal Journeys with Tim & Pru.

They were also featured a few weeks ago on the Andrew (Freddie ) Flintoff series on Sky called Lord of thr Fries where he and a friend travelled the country in a fish and chip van in aid of charity cooking fish and chips at the various attractions.

Sounds crazy i know but it was a quite amusing series.

Alan I could get offended (joke) if you continue to insult Rusty Rita ..... Its almost on my doorstep.... Actually we have warmed to it over the years.

:wave

David

Edited to add the Falkirk wheel was also featured in the Flintoff program

Hopefully David, Geoff will use his Kodak Box Brownie camera,  :naughty: and take a few pics as they enter the wheel.

Later this year, hopefully, I am taking friends up to see them, as he is not allowed to drive now, and his good lady will not drive though Glasgow.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Yes it would be good to see some pics

I can see your friends wife's point having driven though Glasgow myself (some years ago ) mind you compared to driving around the centre of Paris it was like a country drive

Give me a boat any day

cheers

David

• Like 1

The Kelpies are an amazing piece of sculpture. It seems that a lot of places are erecting sculptures these days, which I think the Angel of the North, started the trend, but one I always look out for, when travelling down the M5, is The Wicker Man in Somerset. Someone set fire to the original one about three years after it was built,  so the one you see today is a complete rebuild.