Berney arms up for sale

Boaters

We spoke to a couple that made an offer on the berney that I believe was accepted till they found out it didn't include the land attached just the pub itself so way overpriced, the people in question have 2 other pubs that are doing fine so have a clue how to make a pub work.

It's largely down to the greed of the property owner which is why I avoid his other pub and take my cash elsewhere.

I have moved your post to what I think is the correct topic. Regards Alan

• Like 1

Howard is right about it being a permissive right of way for the landlord which means all supplies, mail etc have to be collected, in addition despite paying business rates there is no rubbish collection. Having completed the journey with John once, I can also tell you that it crosses the railway line twice, with gates that have to be opened and closed afterwards and there are various other gates that have to be opened and closed depending on what livestock are on what fields at any given time. I seem to remember it taking about 15 mins to get to the main road and that was with two of us doing the gates so that John didn't have to leave the van. Doing it single handed would be a right PITA.

Would be a shame to see it remain closed though. It really will only suit someone who wants to run it as a lifestyle choice, if they can scrape a living. It will never make anyone rich.

• Like 2

I have had a customer tell me that they have heard that the Berney Arms is to be converted to a Hindu centre. Don't know where it came from, but second time I have heard this (possibly from same customer though who is with us regularly). 

I looked in at the Berney too. Like the Lord Nelson I think it will need some serious investment although the pub interior looks reasonably intact. The shop I believe suffered some flood damage.

Very sad and a difficult situation. I think unless someone can come forward with some capital and the owner can show some flexibility (unlikely I think) then it is unlikely to re-open in the near future. Problem is the longer it is left empty the more it will deteriorate. I've spent many happy hours in there and it would be great to see it running again.  

post-38-0-05955000-1432765019_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-32066000-1432765048_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-12454200-1432765077_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-27619700-1432765107_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-94973800-1432765132_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-29868000-1432765163_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-87839500-1432765188_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-32162300-1432765210_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I perhaps should have posted here, but if you look at my thread "A Whisper On The Wind", there are strong, very strong rumours around that the Berney will reopen next week.

The problem regarding any potential sale is that the shop, land and moorings are not included, makes the sale al,ost unviable.

• Like 1