New cushions

LadyPatricia

Well that was an eye opener

Just taken our old cushions to the upholsterers to have new ones made for next year. My oh my foam is expensive these days. 10 cushions and 4 seat backs, looks like beans on toast for the rest of the month :)

Also, can anyone advise a good supplier of vinyl for the ceiling. I will be removing the old one to use as a template. It looks like the stuff on the boat at the moment is glued to 2 to 3mm ply then screwed up. My plan is to cover the ply at home with the vinyl and then transport to boat and fit. Obviously I will have the 'old' ceiling to pre-drill holes for the lights and screw fixings.

Would this be the easiest way to do it or have one of you more experienced lovely people got an easier or better solution?

Steve

MBS Fabrics in Windsor for the vinyl. 

Are you replacing the ply too?

If you are going to spray glue the vinyl on, ensure you get glue that will not loosen with heat. Do not use contact adhesive - just too difficult to work on. 

Staple the edges on the reverse side but make sure you get staples shorter than the 6mm ply and ensure they are stainless steel staples too. 

I would recommend not covering the ceiling panels away from the boat - minor errors in the size/shape of the ply might throw out the fitting. There's a lot more leniency if you are covering any joins with cover strips......

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

We are planning on running some thin covering strips along the joints so the odd mm here and there can be hidden. We will also have a small wooden pelmet along the sides to cover the curtain rail which will run the entire side length of the saloon.

I'm pretty local to Windsor so will be able to save on P&P :)

Can you suggest a good spray adhesive?

Will standard 6mm ply be ok or do we need a special 'treated' ply?

Sorry for all the questions ;)

Labrador, does the self adhesive Velcro not loose its stickiness over time?

cheers

Steve

The velcro is unlikely to hold large panel. The current trend is to have smaller panels then a strip of "wood" exposed and then another smaller panel. The velcro will hold the weight of smaller panels much better. Plus, in some cases, you can hide fixings behind lights. Always staple the velcro on. 

MBS should have the adhesive too. Standard ply will be fine. 

If you can, get the pelmet clear of the unfinished ceiling to a depth that will accommodate the panel and covering and secure it with mechanical fixings, This will then act as a support for the ceiling panel and remove the need for additional screws. The panel should then sit flush with the pelmet to form a neat edge. 

• Like 1

the new velcro  works well on large panel .........

experience tell us that..................................

if yer buy the vintyl buy the posh stuff no tthe cheap and nasy one as everbody does 

better qulaity with an extra scrim coating goe s rund corners well and hides lots of silly lows and higths in the surface  yer stick too ........................

look close at yer supplier and ask them .....................................

they will advise correct glue etc ...or velcro .......

use new board s if ye rcan and best quality wood ........................

seal  all wood surfaces goes with out saying .............................

or screw it with plasti domes ,batterns .plastic etc etc .yer choice 

as above .................................................

enjoy yer boat ..............................jon

All great advice, we used high temperature spray glue, but don't use it in a confined space, but if you have to, you should use a suitable respirator, suitable for the type of glue used.

We sealed the ply on both sides and the edges with a couple of coats of thinned varnish, opportunity to use up any old stock you have in your cupboard.

If you are certain that you can use the old ply as a template, then personally I would work at home with more elbow room. Rough cut the vinyl, then leave flat in a warmed room for any creases to fall out.

However, measure the thickness of the new vinyl compared to the old, and if thicker, you might need to trim the ply smaller to compensate.

When spraying the ply and the vinyl, work in small areas, I started from the middle, working outwards, then pull back the vinyl, spray a new area, wait ... then smooth out the next section...

When you get to the end, go back to the middle then pull back vinyl and spray the next section etc until you get to that end.

This way will help to reduce getting any creases in the vinyl.

Then you can work on folding over the edges etc.

Personally I would start on the smallest panel , and budget for at least one error, as if you try to remove the vinyl after gluing, you will stretch it, and it will be difficult to refit it without creases.

This is only my advice from experience of similar fitting as an enthusiastic DIY'er.

Please feel free to comment on any improvements, or alternatives to the above.

Edit to add..

I also took the opportunity to line the roof with silvered bubble wrap, as seen in Wickes, you could apply to the other side of the ply, silver side to the interior. Use the same glue too, but less of it, maybe only the edges if applied to the ply.

This will add a few mm to the ply thickness, so you might need to allow for this.

Good luck,

Richard

• Like 1