crusty time

jillR

Some memories in these posts.  Does anyone remember, it will have been in the fifties, a space serial or series?  I can remember dad, sister and me sitting around the radio engrossed.  Before 1956 possibly, because that year we got our first telly.

In the classic episode of Jimmy Clithero when his sisters boyfriend calls at the house. Jimmy "says what do they call you" Danny Ross playing Alfie Hall (daft Alfie in the series) says "Alf Hall" "no you won't" says Jimmy "now what your name" and so it went on.

Leslie Phillips catch phrases were : "Corrrrr", "Ooh, nasty...", "Oh lumme!", and "Left hand down a bit".

In one episode he is telling the rest of the crew about his comic that tells of this sub lieutenant that is a bit of a wag, he also goes on about that he is getting a free yo-yo if he takes the comic long enough, this week it came with the string.

In those days radio was never dull.

Regards

Alan

Brilliant, thanks Alan, that certainly fits.  I was 6 from August 1953 so that is slap bang on.  Dan Dare that is another memory Iain via The Eagle, in fact one Eagle Annual showed how to make a spear which was potentially lethal, how we didn't hurt people I'll never know.  Then there were comics that had more words in them than many newspapers today, The Victor for one.

Thanks for starting this thread Jill. :)

• Like 1

Quatermass and the 'mark' had us enthralled as kids. One unlucky urchin would be deemed to have the 'mark' for that day and the rest of us would run every time we saw him. Can I just add we were watching repeats 20 years on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6MwmPt7in4

But my current favourite has to be Hh...Hancocks Half Hour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1-Mrlm3TU

• Like 1

I was 18 before we had a TV, and was brought up on a diet of radio, Hancock, Goons, Navy Lark and round the horne (julian and sandy), plus all the radio plays and serialisations on the radio.so my current listening is a bit like going back to those years.

Grendel

• Like 1