Coltishall

JennyMorgan

Hi John,

I used to be part of the Lightning service team here in Saudi in the 70s. A quick tale for you (sorry to go off topic), lightning and F5 together at the end of the runway. F5 lets the brakes off and goes max power and max climb. When the F5 was at 10,000ft, the lightning let out a roar and went max power and max climb.

When the F5 was at 20,000ft - the lightning was at 30,000ft.

• Like 5

I can well remember the Javelins of Coltishall, also the testing of VI rockets from the airfield. I was at school nearby, right under the flight path. Exciting days for a school kid. One of the Javelins caught fire as it crossed over our playing field, we thought it most exciting. The pilot parachuted down amongst a clamour of excited school kids, none of which realised quite how lucky they had just been!

• Like 2

ColtishallCommon.jpg

Back to the 1900's. I note that the pub, back then, was a Bullards house, meaning that it probably sold the dreaded wind maker, Bullards mild. It's only merit was that it was cheap, or was in the 1960's. Cheap, maybe, but as a palatable brew even Watney's Red Barrel was preferable, by a gnat's whisker. 

ColtishallYachts.jpg

Ducks even plagued boats for food way back then!

ColtishallSailingBoats.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks JM but I have to say your collection of OLD Broads photos is fantastic. You very right about the fifties and early sixties, great days. 

Was the Bure navigation still doable through the lock in the 50s?. I`ve looked at a lot of old photo`s of the Broads, and one thing that amzes me is how open it was in those days. Most of the rivers were very open, with hardly a tree in sight. Was it really like that, or are the photo`s just taken in a way to make it look as so.?. I`ve seen pictures of various places on the Ant like that, so wondered what the Broads would look like today if all the trees etc were cut down?.

f1-lineup.jpg

My ever-lasting memories whenever Coltishall is mentioned!

Karen and i went to the Tangmere Aviation Museum for my Birthday back in June. They`ve got a complete Lightning there, along with a cockpit and nose section which has a simulator adapted to it. It uses all the original throttle / flaps and undercarraige controls etc, so is very much like the ral thing, except you stay in the safety of the museum. Great fun, and something i`m keen to go back and try again.

If you`re ever down that way for a while John, i`d recommend it. They`ve also got a red Hawker Hunter which was a world record setting plane.

Fabulous place, and well worth a visit.

• Like 1

I have a sketch of a Hawker Hunter (I believe) drawn by Roy Knockolds I guess in the fifties. I know very little about aircraft so much of what  I think I know about the photo is passed down from my Father who knew.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to be able to load the photo or indeed open any photos from thumb nail size.  Anyone any ideas? It is 1.39mb so size should not be a problem.

post-40-0-75621800-1419329022_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-38954200-1419329067_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-81230700-1419329134_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-11313700-1419329292_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-28501200-1419329610_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-12624500-1419329851_thumb.jpg