Norman Canopy

macroft1

I have a Norman 18.5 that I'm refurbing. 

The canopy was stolen when the last owner kept it moored on the Bridgewater Canal and I'm trying to get a replacement. I know that there are companies out there that will manufacture one that's made to measure but I would have to take the boat to them and that's a problem.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who may have the patterns for my particular model? 

Someone suggested Coverit in Manchester but I can't get hold of them and I'm wondering if they're still in business.

Any help would be great.

Regards.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Some of these smaller canopies can be a right pain to get hold of (it may just be a couple of people). I'd suggest keep trying to call them eventually they will hopefully pick up the phone. I just google search and 01942 883310 is the only number I can find.

You may also want to try the Norman owners website (http://www.normanboats.co.uk/) I think they have a forum in there and I understand it has quite a following.  

Worse case you may find the larger players like Jeckels will hold patterns but I suspect that will be expensive. I'd also suggest doing a google search (upholsters near "me") you may find some local companies on nearby trading estates that will come out and measure for you.  We did just this for our first boat. 

Good luck 

cheers

Hi Mark,

Some of these smaller canopies can be a right pain to get hold of (it may just be a couple of people). I'd suggest keep trying to call them eventually they will hopefully pick up the phone. I just google search and 01942 883310 is the only number I can find.

You may also want to try the Norman owners website (http://www.normanboats.co.uk/) I think they have a forum in there and I understand it has quite a following.  

Worse case you may find the larger players like Jeckels will hold patterns but I suspect that will be expensive. I'd also suggest doing a google search (upholsters near "me") you may find some local companies on nearby trading estates that will come out and measure for you.  We did just this for our first boat. 

Good luck 

cheers

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the info. That's the number I've been calling but to no avail.

Wroxham Boat Covers said they can do the canopy and framework on their site for £1k. 

I can drop it at theirs and leave it until it's finished. Then from there to Hickling where it will stay on the trailer when not in use for the season.

I'd be interested the hear your view on the price. The cheaper the better for me but quality is also important.

Well done on your project by the way. I've been following it with interest.

Regards.

Mark.

Hi Mark, 

Our first boat was a 19ft boat similar to yours and I paid £600 just for the canopy which to me was a fair price (We made the bar ourselves). £1k seems a bit expensive but I'm a tight git for 3rd parties and our prices here are a bit cheaper as we are away from the broads where prices are higher due to the demand. So it's probably a fair price.

To reduce the cost down though you may want to think about making your own canopy bars. It's really easy and you can buy the straight bars and bends so no cutting. We made our swimdeck in a few hours using such things.

We used this supplier: https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?316-STAINLESS-STEEL-TUBE---TUBE-FITTINGS--BOAT-HANDRAILS&l=0000000031(Stainless) https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?20MM-NYLON-TUBE-FITTINGS-FOR-BIMINI---CANOPY&l=0000000737 (Nylon)

It may knock bring the price down a bit so maybe worth thinking about (it's easy to do, measure with the tallest of you standing underneath and give width of your palm above your head to make sure you have enough headroom). 

Thanks for your words on our project, glad to hear I've not bored you to sleep yet! cheers

Good luck,

cheers

• Like 2

Hi Mark, 

Our first boat was a 19ft boat similar to yours and I paid £600 just for the canopy which to me was a fair price (We made the bar ourselves). £1k seems a bit expensive but I'm a tight git for 3rd parties and our prices here are a bit cheaper as we are away from the broads where prices are higher due to the demand. So it's probably a fair price.

To reduce the cost down though you may want to think about making your own canopy bars. It's really easy and you can buy the straight bars and bends so no cutting. We made our swimdeck in a few hours using such things.

We used this supplier: https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?316-STAINLESS-STEEL-TUBE---TUBE-FITTINGS--BOAT-HANDRAILS&l=0000000031(Stainless) https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?20MM-NYLON-TUBE-FITTINGS-FOR-BIMINI---CANOPY&l=0000000737 (Nylon)

It may knock bring the price down a bit so maybe worth thinking about (it's easy to do, measure with the tallest of you standing underneath and give width of your palm above your head to make sure you have enough headroom). 

Thanks for your words on our project, glad to hear I've not bored you to sleep yet! cheers

Good luck,

cheers

Alan.

I own an engineering company so making the frame is more than possible.

The trouble is - add that to all the other jobs then factor in the weather and time becomes very short. I'm aiming to have it ready by the 1st April and there's the BSS to think about plus major repairs to the trailer. I've lost the last 3 weeks due to the high winds - it's currently sat on my front garden under a cover.

I've no need to tell you how long these things take and compared to yours mine will be very basic - a little like camping but on the water!

Someone has recommended Eddie Andrews based in Hickling for the cover and I've just spoken to him. He says that £1k for the canopy and framework is very reasonable.

It's not cheap this boating lark!!

Regards.

Mark.

• Like 2

As some of you know, I run the Norman site and we too have not been able to get hold of Gary at Coverit. He does spend a great deal of time out and about for days at a time fitting covers. He tends to do them in bunches so he can spend a few days down south for instance. I've heard nothing to suggest that he has gone out of business. It could be worth trying again a few times as, if you mention Norman Boats, he should give you a £50 discount.

Failing that, why not try Richard (Snugtopz) down at Bramerton Woods End? His prices appear competitive for Norfolk at least!

• Like 2

As some of you know, I run the Norman site and we too have not been able to get hold of Gary at Coverit. He does spend a great deal of time out and about for days at a time fitting covers. He tends to do them in bunches so he can spend a few days down south for instance. I've heard nothing to suggest that he has gone out of business. It could be worth trying again a few times as, if you mention Norman Boats, he should give you a £50 discount.

Failing that, why not try Richard (Snugtopz) down at Bramerton Woods End? His prices appear competitive for Norfolk at least!

Thanks VetChugger.

I'll keep on trying Coverit - their website does suggest they're still active.

I've a couple of months yet before I need to make a decision.

Regards.

Mark.

It does get expensive very quickly! :) The annoying thing you will find is the cost to do things on a boat a tad bigger isn't much more as you generally need the same products and just adding a bit more add's nothing to the cost! so restoring smaller boats is just as painful! 

At least you are doing it and I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment from it when it's finished!  

I'd love to watch your progress too.. maybe think about doing a project page like mine?, even though you are close it's still interesting to watch the last bit, which is were you see the biggest transformation anyway (You may find it helpful to look back and see what you have achieved in such a short time). 

(Looks a good site VC! we have a couple of norman owners in the club here and they too enjoy the site). 

cheers

It is all down to the size of the canopy.

Our replacement canopy in 2010 was £2246.00 and that was for just the replacement canopy using the original frame.

When we need to replace it next time we will have more input into the design that is somewhat awkward in the way that the the zips were placed behind some of the frame uprights. This was hardly what should have been expected from one of the well know canopy makers on the Broads, it was as if they had never had spent any time on a boat.

My advice Mark is to make sure that whoever makes your canopy does so to your full instructions regarding roll up doorways, zipped out sections, be they front screen, side or aft panels.

The quality on our canopy is very good, but some of the practability is slightly lacking.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

It is all down to the size of the canopy.

Our replacement canopy in 2010 was £2246.00 and that was for just the replacement canopy using the original frame.

When we need to replace it next time we will have more input into the design that is somewhat awkward in the way that the the zips were placed behind some of the frame uprights. This was hardly what should have been expected from one of the well know canopy makers on the Broads, it was as if they had never had spent any time on a boat.

My advice Mark is to make sure that whoever makes your canopy does so to your full instructions regarding roll up doorways, zipped out sections, be they front screen, side or aft panels.

The quality on our canopy is very good, but some of the practability is slightly lacking.

Regards

Alan

Like I said before - what an expensive hobby but a small price to pay to considering the lovely people you come across.

Thanks all.

Mark.

'Ducks for cover'

well they do say like water of a ducks back but using ducks as a boats cover is a bit much, you should use geese as there is a lot more of them!!

your best bet for a canopy is to shop around, get multiple quotes and play one off another, and try Jeckells if they are not busy and want the work they can be very competitive. you should not have to move your boat for any of them unless you are moored somewhere that will not let contractors in, but most have no issue with canopy makers. 

• Like 1