Purchase of a half-decker - survey or not?

Hi all

We're considering the purchase of a traditional Broads half-decker. Unsurprisingly, most of the boats on the market are wooden-hulled. One of the (many) questions in my mind is whether we should have the one we settle on surveyed. If it were a larger yacht or a motor cruiser there would be no doubt, but I'm hesitating slightly over this one. Would be grateful for any views from the sailies/woodies out there.

I would have thought you could survey such a vessel yourself using the traditional MK1 Port and Stbd look outs

Other than that ask a suitable knowledgable person who has owned/maintained such a vessel to have a look for you.

No doubt there will be some forumites on here who own such a vessel and will be able to point out their known weaknesses (If they have any).

But if you are really stuck - a survey does offer peace of mind - But then again would you have a survey done on a wooden dinghy?  and half deckers are only glorified dingy's at the end of the day - That'll upset someone no doubt :hardhat:

Griff

These boats can be very expensive to repair, unless you are a competent DIY person, so starting right is important. The fact you ask would suggest you are a bit unsure and that would be enough for me to say, a survey would be the way to go. Even with a survey, Brilliant gave us a few expensive surprises, I know she is more complex than a half decker, but wood needs experienced eyes to see what is needed, even on a half decker.

Personally, I now ask LBBY to review Brilliant's condition annually. They know her and I trust them; without this relationship with whatever good boatyard you choose, having a woody is a thing I wouldn't advise anyone to do. I except the likes of Griff and Doug and JM who have a long experience base to rely on and can therefore rely on themselves! :)

• Like 1

I

But if you are really stuck - a survey does offer peace of mind - But then again would you have a survey done on a wooden dinghy? and half deckers are only glorified dingy's at the end of the day - That'll upset someone no doubt :hardhat:

Griff

A lot of River cruisers started life as half deckers eg Herbert Woods G a y lady class, if your spending around £5000 on a boat a survey is a fraction of that and you could well recoup the cost in having something to bargin with.

My half decker would cost well over its value to have repaired professionally .

Doug.

Thank you all. I hadn't considered the insurance angle, so that is a really useful point.

I've been in two minds about this precisely because of Griff's "dinghy" comment. Having owned and raced a few wooden dinghies over the years I know what to look for in a dinghy, but their construction is so different from a half-decker that I'm unsure of my ability to spot all the problems. Possibly not worth the risk!

So, can anyone recommend a surveyor who knows his way around wooden broads yachts?

Steve Truss has owned many half deckers including mine !!! Defiantly knows his way round a wooden boat as I'm sure do many other surveyors.

Doug.

Well Doug, it's good to know he's defiant.  :shocked

(Second attempt at this post)

Seriously, though, Steve's is the first name which came to my mind. I know he had a Rebel which I coveted when he put up for sale but just could not justify the cost. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...