stainless steel rubbing strip

Good luck Griff - drilling and countersinking that little lot will be fun!!I did it with 18 feet of bronze for the keel band on a Dragonfly (clinker dinghy) and it was an illegitimate person! (ETA what a dragonfly is)

Hmmm, Aalco have got back to me with details / price. They can supply but not a mirror polish - it is polished with 280grit and is classed a 'Bright' (They are going to send me an sample) but the biggest shock is the price £26:28 inc vat per ONE METRE - I guessed at 55 x metres which runs in at £1'1445:40 plus delivery at £30:00

Then on top of that as has been stated we have to drill / countersink the lot of it ourselves

Ooo-errr to put it midly

Blackburns need to get back to me yet.

Methinks now maybe going for polished aluminium instead.  Saving grace is that there is no rush

Griff

D section 316 stainless is going to be very expensive. Is it necessary to have D section. Would something like stainless 316 25mm x 3mm flat do the job. You could drill it yourself and polish it yourself with something like a black and decker powerfile and then finish it off with brasso and a cloth. It wont be as good as mirror finished

but will quite close to it. Try Anglia alloys in Gorlestone their prices are competitive and they can deliver if required.

Ali wont stay bright for long.

If you can make do with flat, the insert band for double d section rubber is available from Walker Rubber who will punch it for you are your defined intevals. It is thin stuff, but might be something to consider. Alternatively, brass D section bin iron remains available (galv is like hens teeth it seems, but if somone knows where I can get some, I'd love to know).

Clive, I was led to believe that the key reason it was hard to come by was the sheer amount that needed galvanising to make it cost effective was prohibitive and hence it was not being made much any more.

Used to be able to get it from Coopers, but since the main places closed in Yarmouth nobody seems to know anything about it.

What price for a length of it, Clive? How long also?

Hi Griff, 

I will furnish you with a price, have you considered normal flat? I can get this lazer cut from sheets including the holes which are then countersunk...

it may look steep on its own but included in the lift antifoul  and fitting it would look like a bargain!

I will get on it!

Tks Clive but WHOA a tad there.

This evening / early hours of the morning I'm driving down to your Wet-shed. then during the forenoon we are cruising down to your mate at LBBy.

There it's rollup sleeve time once again (Happens every two years) by the 28th we should have 'B.A' back in the wetshed with new anti-foul and a host of other maintenance /upgrade items completed.

Re - Normal flat - for this to look proper I would have to 'Let' the strip in slightly into the oak rubbing strake - a lot of work but a possibility

----------------------------------------------------

Norfolk Marine have today supplied me with a price of polished s/steel 'moon' shape hollow backed - which makes it lighter but still strong enough for our needs

(We try not to use 'B.A' in any dodgem party's) it comes pre drilled / countersunk in lengths of 12ft,  price is good too,I would need 14 lengths max - a tad over £600 with free delivery thrown in - that's more like it :smile:

Griff

That sounds better, hollow back would fit more flush, if I saved half your cost it would take away the fun factor for you so I will let you DIY.. 

to Make it look 'Proper' you would have to paint the rubbers white  and screw galvanised iron to it  :naughty:

to Make it look 'Proper' you would have to paint the rubbers white  and screw galvanised iron to it  :naughty:

I'll give you that one in full!, I would also have to 'Downgrade' a lot of other areas too!

I quite enjoy DIY - None more so than on 'B.A'

Tks for the offer of helping out all the same.

Griff

• Like 1