Raisena has a new stick.

JennyMorgan

Some of you know Raisena, the Broads racing cruiser that lost her mast last year on Breydon. Apparently she is still passing through Horning, with her new, bubble wrapped mast, twelve foot longer than the previous one. Is this the tallest mast on the Broads? I'm rather looking forward to seeing her pass through Yarmouth Yacht Station on her way to Oulton Regatta in August, wondering how well she'll cope with the curves and bends in the river. All strength to Clive & Co with their new mast, especially when raising and lowering it!

• Like 2

She was launched at Stalham on Tuesday and motored to Horning,We then took her to Lowestoft to pick it up on Thursday and bought her home yesterday, The trip form Yarmouth to Lowestoft was via the coast, slightly choppy yesterday but not too bad.. she is now in Belaugh which is the closest point to Jeckells we could get!

I will post some picks of the trip up later..

The new mast is 15 feet longer,

Carbon mast is approx. 72 kg so much lighter than the Aluminium.

new  sails and rigging as well as new boom, whisker pole plus a few other bits and bobs..

• Like 3

Can't be many Broads RCC's gone to sea, especially from LT to YH & return. One that has is Forrester she's been to sea, any others? At the moment Spray is trapped on Lake Lothing because of the breakdown of Mutford Lock, don't think I'd risk the sea trip in her though!

I was going to ask if you'd taken the opportunity to go for carbon fibre instead of aluminium.

Is it the decreased weight of the rig that allows you to carry the extra sail without changing the righting moment, or are you putting more lead on the keel too?

That's ominous!

To be fair, if you show any rigger who only works with seagoing boats a Broads River Cruiser, their first reaction is likely to be "how does she carry so much sail?" Raisena is a pretty extreme example, but she's not the only one, especially when you consider the gaff riggers with huge topsails. Of course they can do this because they're sailing on relatively flat water, where roll due to wave action isn't a consideration. They need to carry so much sail as it's not feasible to change sails during a race (and indeed for the River Cruiser class not permitted IIRC), so to win they have to have as much as possible all of the time, and deal with being over canvassed on some points of sail by technique (and being prepared to sail at ridiculous angles of heel, like when I was crewing at Barton Regatta a couple of years ago and trying to work a jib winch that was under water).

• Like 2

WOW Barry, these are fantastic pictures to see, as you know Ladybird is currently living under my umbrella, it is great to see her with a world record breaking rig!

I believe the the rig came to an unfortunate end wrapped round a marker post on Barton...

Off topic but not ownership. A few weeks ago I went to view an old Broads film from the late 50s at the Norfolk film archive. Great shots from the Woods basin including my old boat but also footage of Ladybird sailing whilst in the hire fleet.

Whilst trying to find a Raisena photo - found one but also two Ladybird pictures - mid to late 70s at Thurne.  The scan of Raisena was difficult as the print was stuck in an album close to the binding - hence the wave effect

post-309-0-62845300-1430670790_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-59680800-1430670800_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-84982800-1430670810_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Found some more of Yare Nav in 1979 (the old albums have just been moved onto some new shelves so I can get to them for the first time in years, hence this flurry of photos). This batch were originally coloured but the colour has gone so I converted to grey scale. There is one of Evening Flight as well for no particular reason and a Coaster went through that day as well to add to the fun!

I like the phrase when your BOATS plural are in it! Although I can't comment, just don't have as many or with such big masts!

post-309-0-86368000-1430672995_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-10721200-1430673011_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-87333900-1430673025_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-73303200-1430673035_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-90222100-1430673045_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-75258300-1430673051_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

These are more brilliant pictures, I have never seen evening flight or even a picture but `i do know a little bit about her.. it would be nice to have her back on the water..