Three interesting articles.

I like the comment that of the 38 people who died after falling in the water, the most common cause of death was drowning!!! Really. At least we know we are safe from shark attacks if we fall in.

I do wonder how many of these were boat users rather than swimmers, drunks etc?

Tragic anyway, whatever the circumstances.

I reckon if I had a riverside property there is no way I could extend my garden by decking over part of the river.

I would have thought there was room to provide the walkway on land at the back of the ferry boat.

However it is sad to see what was once a thriving, delightful pub turned into flats.

• Like 2

Any city worth its salt should make sure that any of these waterside developments include full access to the public in the form of continued or new walkways that promote use of river or canal use.

I have seen good use of and promotion of canal side paths in places like Edingburgh, Birmingham and Banbury; sadly Manchester turned its back on the canal.

A good walkway helps with self policing because these paths are used more by walkers, cyclists, joggers etc.

Where towns and cities have had the foresight to have a combined plan of use for all these waterway developments are providing a safe environment and well used facility.

Rather than close the pub they would have been better making it the centre of the development with full water front access, bars and bistro's and 24 hour moorings and a footbridge across the river to improve access would not go amiss.

Just my thoughts of course but what are yours?

Regards

Alan   

• Like 3

Any city worth its salt should make sure that any of these waterside developments include full access to the public in the form of continued or new walkways that promote use of river or canal use.

I have seen good use of and promotion of canal side paths in places like Edingburgh, Birmingham and Banbury; sadly Manchester turned its back on the canal.

A good walkway helps with self policing because these paths are used more by walkers, cyclists, joggers etc.

Where towns and cities have had the foresight to have a combined plan of use for all these waterway developments are providing a safe environment and well used facility.

Rather than close the pub they would have been better making it the centre of the development with full water front access, bars and bistro's and 24 hour moorings and a footbridge across the river to improve access would not go amiss.

Just my thoughts of course but what are yours?

Regards

Alan   

I totally agree what you say Alan. We spent a day in Norwich on the last day of our holiday, which you can read about later, in our holiday tales blog. Norwich is an ideal city for waterside improvements and as the river is part of the navigable broads system, more safe mooring facilities could be incorporated, to attract more visitors. A water bus service, similar to the red tour bus service, allowing visitors to see the city from the waterside, would be a good idea. There are many cities in the UK that could make there rivers more attractive. As you have said, Manchester has turned it's back on the canals, which for a major city, is a disgrace. I know half of it is hidden with bridges, but I'm sure with some thought and careful planing, it could be made into an attractive asset.

• Like 2