suitable webcam

I thought I would bump this up as you haven't had a reply (I don't like it when people don't get replies). I can't help with your question, the only thing I know about cameras is they take photos lol, I know there are some very techy types on here who can probably help, so come on geeks where are you? :bow

Grace

• Like 1

yes it is a white balance issue. Try this little trick before buying a new camera.

From a cornflake packet cut out a cardboard hood you can fit in from of the camera. Use Blutack to fix it on until you get the desired length poking out in front of the camera. Long enough to cure the white out but not so long that the hood is in camera shot. Once you have the desired length for the cardboard hood and its in the right position use some electrical tape to fix it more firmly in place.

Works a treat on the webcams I bought as security cameras for the back yard and works on the video camera too when I use it as a webcam and for shooting video.

• Like 2

It sounds like an exposure issue to me – hence inside it is ok but the super bright outside it is not auto exposing and stuck on a level best suited for inside.

Can you try getting into the exposure settings, auto /manual? From  home try pointing it to the window and if you can repeat the experiences on the boat then go from there to remedy things.  I suspect your not have any actual software with the camera itself but you should be able to get into the settings – try downloading manycam (google it, it is a free/paid for effects software) but the free version will let you get into the settings through manycam to then be able to fiddle with things.

Failing that I use Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002I3IRY8which i then wrap in copious amounts if electrical tape leaving only the lens exposed – and in the past have survived the harshest of conditions take the rain on the Queens Diamond Jubilee on the Thames, all was broadcast from Broad Ambition using them.

I gave up doing the live streams because the setting up, cables, multi camera approach I took data costs and so on all was far too much stress and sometimes half way through would all fall apart when for some unknown reason the laptop decided a USB port would not recognise the camera and bring the whole shooting match down.

You can see recorded streams from the past still over at www.norfolkbroadslive.com

I can't remember but it would suck thru £15.00 (3Gb)of credit easily if i was doing a few hours of streaming with good qauilty video and audio.  I think I needed about 3 top ups worth of data when went to Bramerton over Breydon on distant horizon i stick to Blogging now.