New outboard

Polly

The very first job i did on my current boat was remove the outboard and take it home for safe keeping.although secured with a hardened chain and padlock(for which i had no key) it was secured to a lightweight deck fitting which took about a minute to cut through with a hacksaw. That's how easy some people make it for thieves.

If you go too serious on your security on a boat thats moored in a dark secluded place you'll just end up with the same theft and a mass of damage that far outweighs the loss, better to make a token gesture to deter the un-equiped opportunist and good security marking and notes of serial numbers to aid recovery when the pros take it, saves on having the rest of the boat destroyed when they only wanted the motor.

Or putting the cowling of a cheapo chinese motor on your shiny new honda would probably work better than the police covers.....

• Like 2

Or like some less scrupulous persons you could just steal one, great choice, very cheap, poor security and the opportunity to change or upgrade at any time (of night).

cinical, me. Never.......

:River Police

I wonder if they would steel a chinese branded one?! If not it would be a good marketing idea and a reason to buy one: "Built to withstand thief"... :hardhat:! cheers

Sadly if someone is going to take an item they will whatever steps we take to stop them, however the philosophy maybe that they will take the path of least resistance and move on to someones elses if your looks too much like hard work, noisy to remove or awkward. A very mercenery view I agree but sadly true. To my knowledge there has only been one engine stolen that had a Broads Beat cover on it, and this person missed the point and left the cowling on beneath.

Will the Chinease copies also get swifted away, well unfortunately time will tell.

• Like 1

Joking asside, sadly to thieves an outboard is an outboard as you say if it's and easy grab then it will probably go too..

At least that's a good tip on the Covers.  Outside of the broads, I've heard of owners using random colours of spray paint to make the engine look less attractive which I understand has proven successful.

From the googling I've found that covers can be obtained by emailing: broadsbeat@norfolk.pnn.police.uk or calling Broads Beat on 0845 456 4567 (Prices start at £15).. Please feel free to share further details though Stuart.

(There's some good tips on here: http://www.norfolk.police.uk/newsandevents/newsstories/2011/june/makeyourboatsecuritytight.aspx- I must admit I'm aleady been a bit trusting and leaving stuff in the open.. need to stop that).

• Like 1

Still recommend a tracker.  I have one.  Text it, and it will give you exact coordinates of where it is.  Ring fence it, and it will let you know if it is moved outside this zone.  If it's moved, it will let you know.

Difficult to see it too.