Oil for a 1.5 bmc diesel

Just to add to the comments here.

As an ex fitter who has worked on these engines for many years, what I can offer in advice is that if the engine is in really good condition, and I do mean really good, then 15/40 mineral oil is the way to go. If the engine rattles a bit and smokes for too long on initial start-up in the warmer months, then use 20/50 mineral oil, say like Q20/50. This is slightly thicker and helps a worn engine but the downside is that it will turn over slower on really cold start-ups, say after a frost, and will suck the starter battery down trying to turn the engine over.

There is nothing to be gained by using synthetic or semi-synthetic on these engines. (I had one in my last boat by-the-way).

Just change the oil and filter at the start of the season and again at the end when laying up for the winter, if you do that is.

Keep on top of checking the tappet clearance and clean air filter and oil changes and it will last a lifetime.

(My BMC had only 1200hrs on it when I sold her)

I wouldn't go down the synthetic route and personally I think you could be opening a can of worms in doing so ,I did many trails with oil on my old BMC over the years some very well known names burnt more than plenty .funnily enough the best mineral oil I found that suited was the cheapest and that was Comma 10/50 ,comma state it was designed for the older worn Diesel engine . No smoke and a dip stick level that never moved

Finny

My engine manual suggests either a straight 30 or a multigrade 20/50. Dont forget that when many of our BMC's were being built multigrade oils were readily available and so would be included in the recommended list.

A multigrade will perform better across the temperature ranges whereas a single grade may not offer full protection at the extremes of temperatures but will perform better at the optimum running temperature.

More modern oils, especially the synthetics and semi synthetics, will have a higher detergent content which ensures clean modern engines but may not be as wise in older units. Just a good old drop of something not too technical and we are happy.

Here's my new engine, do you reckon the rangers will be able to keep up? :naughty: :naughty:

post-32591-0-30323700-1435775151_thumb.j

• Like 1

It rattled by brain this post and had to look through my old service log - I have to correct my first post the oil I used was Comma but it was 20 / 50

have a look at this link makes good reading on which and why

hope this helps

sorry cant get the link to work ...........anyway Amazon search 20 / 50 comma oil - they do a classic oil also makes good reading

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-CLA20505L-20W-Classic-Motor/dp/B002RPJ67E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435779616&sr=8-1&keywords=20+%2F+50+comma+oil

fumblinfin

Edited by BroadScot
Hope its the right one Craig?