Thames rib experience

Thanks to a present from Marina,today i went on a rib on the Thames.Firstly i went to Chelsea to get my new first team shirt with my name and 60 printed on it.Back to the river,it was a great trip,starting very slowly,building in speed,boy it went quick,we whizzed past everything.On the way planes taking part in the flypast marking VJ day went overhead.Once again a great day,I am going to fit that engine to Sweetkingfisher.

Ian:Stinky:clap:clap

• Like 8

I did ask Karen for a Hovercraft experience day near Gatwick airport. She was going to pay for it, but iturned out to be £100 ish for 15 minutes actual driving. I told her not to bother, as it will be cheaper to buy one and use it for an hour or so till i`m bored with it, then sell it for what i payed for it, or possibly a bit more?.

• Like 1

How Spooky!  We did the Thames Rib experience last Wednesday! One of the best things I have ever done in London! We did the 'Thames Barrier Experience' which I would totally recommend and will do again myself! OK I have to admit I was holding on like hell at certain points when the skipper was doing 90 degree turns at 40mph! I'm bloody sure we got air several times too!

• Like 1

Not boating ,but last year Diane got me a race experience at Brands Hatch ,brilliant on the track with other cars ,firstly in a Lotus Elise then a Nissan GT R  absolutely fantastic machine ,these things stay in your memory because their  so unique..Dont think I will  get the chance to drive that fast again.

Hi I did one two years ago in a jag with a pro driver,I don't drive(only boats).I have been lucky,have flown in a DC3,Rapid and Taxied in a Lancaster.A few more on the wish list.Rear seat of the Red Arrows(unlikely) fly inverted over the Grand Cannon,and Gliding.

As Roy said these things stay with you forever. Ian

Some good adventures there Ian. 

A question for those who have done the Thames rib thing. Did you get wet? Is there anywhere to change? I am assuming they give you waterproofs to wear as well?

we plan on making a day of it but don't fancy walking around in wet shoes and trousers all day!

Some good adventures there Ian. 

A question for those who have done the Thames rib thing. Did you get wet? Is there anywhere to change? I am assuming they give you waterproofs to wear as well?

we plan on making a day of it but don't fancy walking around in wet shoes and trousers all day!

Hi, You don't get wet from the ride, but if it rains..... They do offer waterproofs, I actually grabbed a jacket as I only had a polo shirt on and thought it may get a bit breezy at speed on the water.... glad I did!

Did our rib ride today and great fun. 

Grinned all the way and loved the zig zagging and the big 360 at Canary Wharf. 

Think we will be on a lot of holiday photos/videos as London was packed to the gunnels. 

Borough Market will be visited again as we now have a bag of cheese, salami and various other foods after a short visit there en route to the rib. 

• 2 months later...

Second adventure of the year (OK not really an adventure, but a bit of fun) was the Forest Segway at Highlodge.

£30 for a 1 hour session and they are really good fun. We only had a couple of accidents in the group and that was either stupidity or not listening - pretty safe if you don't try and race or cut corners.

Gliding is on for this Sunday if the weather calms down - don't fancy it in today's wind!!

• 2 months later...

A bit late on the update, but the gliding was cancelled back in Nov (40Mph winds would have seen me somewhere over Holland!!!).

But, it happened a couple of weeks ago. Touch and go on the weather, but as we got to the airfield the clouds cleared and the sun came out. Very chilly, but had a great flight in lovely clear skies.

Just to prove I did it here I am after we landed - shame they dont allow cameras in the cockpit during the flight.

Sorry Jonathan, but forgot to message you to see if you were around the day I flew.

What's the point of having to wear the parachute as well? I think I would have just wet myself if we had needed to use it.

Anyone not done one - go for it.

IMG_0158.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The last of the bucket trips so far this year - tractor driving experience last Saturday.

What a rubbish day, but great to play on some very big boys toys.

A couple of old 1950's tractors and a JCB loader (loading pallets onto a trailer) and then a couple of modern Case tractors. One with a trailer and a spot of reversing the other just a run down the field playing with the 20 odd gears. Anyone who hasn't sat in a modern tractor might think it's tough ploughing a field. But they are super quiet, air conditioned, radio, all electronic clutch/gear shift, power steering and brakes and GPS to make the ploughing as automatic as it can get. Easier than driving a car!!!

Pictures weren't very good, but will post a couple when I get time.