A dog at Reedham

Wussername

I give up

.Your arguments and reasoning fly in the face of all recognised standards, disciplines, and procedures recommended by all the respected authorities concerned with dog welfare in the UK.

And not for the first time.

Edited by Wussername
Added comment

So you don't like logic and have no answer to it? Rhetoric seems to be your only tool.

Dave

Dave

whilst I don't have the scientific answer to your question I would imagine it be a mixture of the following:

- dogs in hot countries if you notice are USUALLY short haired and not very large which would help keep them cooler.

- dogs who live in hot countries will be climatised to the heat - just like humans are. They will also know when to stay out of the sun & how to keep cool.

- if you are free to roam, you can usually find somewhere with a slight breeze or a good bit of shade to cool down, this is not possible in a car.

I would consider myself fairly well travelled, and the above usually seems to be the case - I was in Asia earlier this year (coldest day 43 degrees) and being an animal lover I usually find the odd dog or cat to feed on my way. I  only ever saw them in the morning or late afternoon once the heat had subsided a little...

Probably best you both agree to disagree :-) To some extent you are both probably right. I find the Summer heat for short periods disagrees with me in this country, whereas I can happily spend a week in Spain in higher heat with no problems. Part of the problem is the heat in this country is so up and down so we don't get time to acclimatise. Take this last week, 20 degrees most of last week and even less the first part of this week with a spike of 29 degrees on Saturday. The other part of the problem is generally we have high humidity in this country when it's warm. In places like Spain it tends to be far less humid. High humidity stops the body from being able to cool itself so easily. I guess all the above also applies to animals as well. 

A dog acclimatised to 35+ degrees will fair far better than one used to 20 degrees suddenly subjected to a short spell of 35 degrees. A dog pants to cool down which works on the basis of the moisture on the tongue evaporating. This will be far slower in a more humid climate.

• Like 1

I always like to think you should not treat anyone or any animal in a way that you wouldn't treat yourself.

Some long time ago (ok I'm old) when first owning a car I was waiting for Carol with the car windows fully wound down ( pre electric windows) I lasted 5 mins before it was uncomfortable enough to make me leave the car and seek shade, it was not pleasant, though I don't know how  bad it would have got or whether death would ensue, I do know that I would not intentionally repeat the experiment and would not leave a dog in the same situation, I was able to leave when the comfort levels decreased, a dog hasn't got that luxury.

Tell you what Dave, the next really hot day why don't you lock your dog in the car for 2 hours (between say 1 & 2pm) and see how he gets on.

Im sure youll then report back to us about how we are all wrong; how your dog was fine and just pretended it was from India...

cheersbar

Can we end the debate with words from an actual vet? 

http://www.samaritanmag.com/1589/veterinarian-locks-self-hot-car-pet-experiment

the above link (sorry it's American) shows how a vet locked himself in a car for just 30 minutes to analyse the effects of heat - the video is fairly eye-opening.

He then goes on to explain why it's the unseen damage to your pet that can be just as deadly.

apologies to the mods - this is my final say in the matter!!