WestBoat Ireland ?

MrPlant

Horses for courses - they are very good looking boats and seem pretty good value considering you can specify everything during build.

As for 150hp not being adequate for sea passages I have to ask why - there are plenty of boats of all shapes and sizes with less than that doing perfectly well in the salty stuff. Even if you had 250hp, I am sure you would then have people question 'I'd never go to sea with a single engine'. 

In an upcoming video Broad Ambition had her bottom feel the salt last weekend as we arrived at Breydon with under 6ft at Vauxhall Bridge. We decided to head off under Haven Bridge to kill some time as the water levels dropped.

We got to see the sea at the harbor entrance then turned and returned.  Port ops were informed over the VHF naturally. Upon our return it was now going against the tide and with a torrent of water coming between the bridge piers at Haven Bridge, our 50hp got us Through just fine - albeit slower than we had passed earlier in the day. It really comes down to what the tides are doing and prevailing weather and that effects all but the largest of boats.

Edited by LondonRascal
  • Like 1

For an inland cruiser the single lower HP engine wouldnt bother me, just they seam good value compared to other 'Brand New' Boats...

Anyone know what the build quality is like on them and how good the GRP is...?

I think the 34, 36 & 38 look superb and wouldnt look out of place on the broads?:shocked

You might not want to get on the plane in a heavy sea?

It would be more than enough on inland waters and enough to get you down the coast if you didn't need to rush.

Plenty of single engine sea goers - my last boat was a good example. Mind you that had more HP in 26ft, but there are plenty out there at sea with one engine. Just go with a friend who has 2!!!

• 4 months later...
On 19/08/2015 at 11:18 AM, LondonRascal said:

Horses for courses - they are very good looking boats and seem pretty good value considering you can specify everything during build.

As for 150hp not being adequate for sea passages I have to ask why - there are plenty of boats of all shapes and sizes with less than that doing perfectly well in the salty stuff. Even if you had 250hp, I am sure you would then have people question 'I'd never go to sea with a single engine'. 

In an upcoming video Broad Ambition had her bottom feel the salt last weekend as we arrived at Breydon with under 6ft at Vauxhall Bridge. We decided to head off under Haven Bridge to kill some time as the water levels dropped.

We got to see the sea at the harbor entrance then turned and returned.  Port ops were informed over the VHF naturally. Upon our return it was now going against the tide and with a torrent of water coming between the bridge piers at Haven Bridge, our 50hp got us Through just fine - albeit slower than we had passed earlier in the day. It really comes down to what the tides are doing and prevailing weather and that effects all but the largest of boats.

The thing is Robin, at sea, there are things called waves, and they can be quite big outside the confines of the Broads. Then you have stronger winds out in the open, and very exposed waves. Add to that that Westboat has a lot out of the water, like ANY high top design, there is an even greater amount of windage. Add them altogether, and a single engine of that power would struggle. Now if you were on the same boat on the Broads, it may be OVER powered. I also believe those old Aquafibre moulds were semi displacement, so would`nt plane very well unless you had a lot of power, so i`d tend to agree with the Admiral.

One other point, the Admiral has a lot of experience in going to sea, and can tell you far better than me as to the effects i`ve mentioned above on even a small boat.

Never estimate sea voyages by comparing to travelling on the Broads. That said, i do agree, the tides WILL play a major part in any sea voyage.