Windows 8 mail question

Regulo

Hi, all,

My cousin is secretary of a group, and as such needs to send e-mails to about 120 members at once. She's using Windows 8, and can't find a way of organising these email addresses into a group, such that selecting the group will add all those addresses into her email address box when creating mail. It must be possible but not having Windows 8 in front of me I can't advise her. Anyone help, please?

I have always used AOL for Emailing, yes anno not the best system, but very easy to use sending emails and attachments.

I assume its Windows Outlook she is using? I have always kept clear of Outlook since Windows 95.

Hopefully a Outlook user will be along to help you Ray.

xmas6Iain.

Sending e-mails has nothing to do with Windows 8 as Windows 8 does not have any e-mail capability in common with all other versions of Windows. What we need to know is which program or app she is using. Maybe it is the modern app from the Windows store. Without knowing this it is very hard to give anything other than very general advice.

Outlook is obsolete and long out of support, but Windows Live Mail is a free download which does the same job.

Maybe the best thing to do is to download an e-mail app or program that has the functionality she needs. Alternatively, just keep the list of e-mail addresses in Notepad and copy and paste them into the e-mail program.

Hope this helps.

Nigel (Ludham)

• Like 2

These programs may come with your computer but they are not part of Windows 8 or indeed any other version of Windows.

I think that Mozilla Thunderbird has group sending capability. I don't use it myself but it is a well respected mail program and would do the job OK. Some programs do not have built in group sending features. This includes Windows Live Mail and the modern app.

MailChimp is another way of doing it. I have never used it myself but I know others who do use it successfully.

Best wishes

Nigel

4 hours ago, woodwose said:

.......Outlook is obsolete and long out of support, but Windows Live Mail is a free download which does the same job......

Outlook Express is obsolete, having been replaced by WLM as the "freebie" Microsoft email client software.

Outlook itself is still very much alive and kicking, and quite an expensive and sophisticated component of Ms Office.

windows live mail (came with my vista) you click contacts, and in the window that comes up click new contact group, then add the email addresses one by one. give the group a name, then use that name when you want to mail to the group.

not sure what comes with later operating systems - we still use outlook (comes with ms office) at work, but that is accessed via the company servers.

Grendel

In windows Live mail  if you set up an account in the email you use for the group and add all the contacts to it

All you have to do to cc all to an email is click on new then

click  the square of dots on the top left corner and choose people

At the top of the list of people is a box marked all, 

this will bring up al the people in the inbox and on the right it will say

how many people to email under a title of Send E mail

click on the send email and start composing

The Undertaker is right. I should have said Outlook Express. Confusingly, Microsoft also renamed Hotmail as Outlook which is a completely different thing. I use this service sometimes and it works OK.

If anyone is using Outlook 2010, Microsoft issued a botched update for it yesterday forcing it to start in safe mode. You can get information from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114409

Just uninstall the update.

Nigel    (Sunny Ludham)