Rubbing Strake

daf4trucks

Please forgive if the term rubbing strake is incorrect.

The said item runs around the boat roughly where the hull meats the deck. This is screwed into place and then covered by some kid of rubber tape, which apart from looking good hides the fastenings.

Mine as come away and as it started to happen the weight pulled it down all the way along the starboard side and back down the port side. It is proving almost impossible to re insert mainly because it has  become brittle. Anyone had this happen? if so any idea what the ' tape' is called and any tips on replacing.

Thanks in anticipation..

42 minutes ago, daf4trucks said:

Thanks for the prompt response and the links, forums at their best.

Alan, think it will be similar, or same as yours, ours being a 320 Challenger.

Hi Steve,

On the 340 it has a blue insert strip in the center of the rubbing strake, I have seen these in red however. Up to now however we have not had to source these.

Birchwood obtain a lot of there spare parts from Spain I believe, the bow thruster is basically a revamp of a Russian truck starter motor. 

I would have a word with Tanya or Nick at Brian Ward's, take in a small sample of the insert to see if they can locate any for you. 

Remember that Brian Ward's offer a 10% discount to all of of our forum members.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Ours is blue, and it is this which has come away. The strake itself is fine.

Because it has become brittle it will not go back in.

Will do as you suggest and pop into Brian Ward's this weekend.

Started the thread thinking it might be a regular occurrence and a quick fix.

Maybe not.

Thanks to all for the info.

Kind Regards.

Steve.

Quite possibly heat will soften the old one, it depends on the formula. It may help get the new replacement one back in the hole as well if you go down that road. If it all goes horribly wrong make sure you take some piccys...  we do enjoy a laugh on here cheers

• Like 2

Apologies for the delay in replying to the last comments. Have'nt been sat here wondering  how to respond, honestly. Replacing the starboard side should'nt produce too many hilarious moments, simply because that is the pontoon side. However, the port side is a different matter. I don't intend upon turning the boat around because starting is a non option due to winterisation, and not having her lifted because of cost. Therefore, her indoors will have to go down the port side standing up and balancing in the dingy whilst attempting to insert the new tape into the rubbing strip. Now that might produce something special..

Steve.

• Like 2

I have replaced the black insert on my rubbing strake twice now and can honestly say that the only way to do it is on the hard standing. It is a two man / woman operation. You need to place the rubber into a bucket or tub of hot water to soften it. Then as quickly as possible start at one end making sure that the end is secured with a screw, then quickly work around the boat fiting in one go. You will need to stretch it slightly as you go because that reduces the profile slightly making it easier to insert and then try and push it back to reduce some of the stretch. You need to remember that in Summertime it may well expand and pop out if not inserted with a little bit of stretch. My rubbing strake measured 20 metres and I purchased 20 metres of insert. By the time I went from one side of the boat to the other I had 1 metre left over. Using this method I've never had a problem with it popping off in the Summer.

Due to the amount of stretching and then pressure needed to push the rubber into place, I would seriously suggest you do not contemplate the task from a dinghy, unless you are wearing a life jacket and have someone handy with a camera. You will end up in the water, but as least you can sell the footage to you've been framed to help pay the cost of a lift out.

One other thing to consider while the plastic insert is off. Are the fixings that hold the aluminium strake to the boat rusting and leaving streaks down the hull? If so now is the time to replace them.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...