End of an Era!

Speleologist

11 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

BTW are you a speleologist, a spelunker or a caver?   ;)

Definitely not a Spelunker, that's an American term! I am both caver (somebody who explores caves for leisure) ,  potholer (same but with vertical bits) and speleologist (somebody who explores previously unexplored caves, researches their geology, hrdrology etc and related scientific activities). Although after more than 40 years, my activity level has declined. These days I am more likely to be sailing, either offshore or on the Broads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dajen said:

I think that might be a different guy John, Ive seen a couple of programmes with this guy on and I'm pretty sure he is based on Fens around Ely?

There a couple of guys still catch eels on the Broads but they use fluke nets rather than wicker traps which this guy made and used. Gus from the New Inn certainly used to have eeling permits, not sure if he still does.

Eels seem to be making a bit of a comeback on the Broads we caught quite a few last year, the first time for ages, I believe they have been restocking them and heard a rumour that several thousand Elves had been inroduced around the Oulton area.

Dave

He is a Fen man as above not on the Broads. I have seen Fyke nets being shot on Barton and on the river at Horning. You have to be up early to see the activity though.