name this boat .....

jillR

1 hour ago, w-album said:

It was neatishead when WE hired her :)

Hi Liz, 

where exactly was Neatishead boatyard?. I can remember a couple of yards that were at Neatishead, one was Coral craft, who were previously based at Brundall, part of the Carr and West set up i believe?, and the other was a small fleet called Viva Boats. Was it any of them?.

Ah but when we collected the boat in note NOVEMBER 1965 we went to Neatishead! The yard was on the north side of the dyke near the current turning point but otherwise little recollection and no photos. From that day we always nicknamed the boat the Slug!

• Like 1

Hi Liz,

I find all this reminiscence all a bit bizarre at times, I see people like you as the same age we last met and keep thinking, how can you possibly remember back that far? Then I get up and realise it's the body that's going downhill, the minds still younger, thank god.

• Like 2

The "Neatishead Boatyard" used to be at Neatishead, which makes sense, but although it moved to Wayford Bridge it retained it's name. There was a pub there called "The Woodfarm Inn" but that also moved allbeit not far.(just across the river and just across the road) The new "Woodfarm inn" more recently changed it's name to "The Wayford Bridge Hotel" and even more recently to "The Wayford Bridge Inn".

The Neatishead Boatyard is run by Peter and Thelma Linford, though no longer has a hire fleet.

I remember spending a night in Neatishead yard, far more open than it is now trees not so closed in . We had a very disturbed night with the yacht in fronts water pump going on and off all night. In the morning it turned out the chaps father was unwell, I ran round the the houses trying to get the use of a phone, no mobiles in those days. someone finally opened their door and an ambulance was called. By the time it arrived the yard was open and the ranger had arrived to pick his launch up. Tragically the chaps father only got as far as Wroxham where he died at the surgery.

I can recollect hearing the yard at Neatishead having bother with a brewery over it's lease but don't know the full story.

In the sixties the fleet was one of contrasts. The original fleet was  almost cartoon like as if they had been built for a time past but still rather pleasing to the eye. They had names to match their appearance like White Rabbit and Alice in Wonderland. They all ended up in the Richardson fleet in the early 60s to be replaced in total contrast by probably the most modern and innovative boats at the time on the Broads. Two of these Solitaire and Ultima making the front of the Blakes brochure in 1966. For whatever reason their stay at Neatishead was short and they to spent most of their careers also at Richardsons.

The year that Ultima was on the cover, we hired her. She was wonderful, sleef powerful and a picture of elegance. That is,until mother ran her aground at high speed in Barton Broad about half an hour after we took her over! I have to admit, I thought that was 1968!

Still, my memory isn't what it used to be, and sadly, I can't remember what it was!

I meant to add that she was built by the Neatishead boatyard

11 hours ago, Labrador said:

Hi Liz,

I find all this reminiscence all a bit bizarre at times, I see people like you as the same age we last met and keep thinking, how can you possibly remember back that far? Then I get up and realise it's the body that's going downhill, the minds still younger, thank god.

Yep, I am doing my best not to grow old gracefully! Unfortunately the age thing sometimes catches up with me.........

• Like 1